Visitors: 51

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Question bout cellphone security

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 

Re: Question bout cellphone security

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Searchlight,

You have been given some considered advice already. My thoughts are the following:

1. If you consider there is a possibility that your mobile phone has been tampered with, have you stopped using it? Remove the sim card and use it in another handset and then try and replicate the problem.

2. The suspect handset can be monitored in a controlled environment (without sim card) but with internet access if possible to see if connections are being made. I am not familiar with this handset.

3. It would be possible to create some code and embed it into an MMS message and send this to an unsuspecting individual in order to tamper with or attempt to intercept messages or calls BUT the costs and efforts associated with this would make it almost impossible for 'normal' person to achieve. This could possible be achieved by a Government or State Agency with the resources and access to the scarce skills needed. Should a Government Agency wish to do this there are simpler methods as they would just request an intercept at the mobile network carrier!

So without being able to provide the proof you seem to be seeking it is possible for this to happen but highly unlikely.  

jarretlr

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 am

Just to add some additional candidates to those which jaclaz and jarretlr mentioned -

/hacker may do it, just like spreading a virus, and for the hell of it
/maybe partner if they are suspicious about infidelity
/maybe the person does it themselves to gain attention
/maybe someone (hacker maybe) testing the forensic community

There is also the question whether the handset was out of the possession of the owner/user for any significant time.

Symantec published a review of Bluetooth regarding security and vulnerability. Part 2 shows example for modifying obex

www.symantec.com/conne...iew-part-1
www.symantec.com/conne...iew-part-2

However, none of the above add any shred of evidence at all that this handset has spyware on it.
ForensicMobex now MTEB Linkedin Subgroup 

trewmte

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Once again I apologize for not replying on time

AND

I need to thank you all for getting into the trouble of providing me with useful advise. Very Happy

Even though I wish I could get into more details about my suspicions , unfortunately,
I can't . I don't think it would be the wise thing to do. Let me just say that the potential "source"
of my worries is quite certain and pinpointed and it doesn't have anything to do with former spouses
hackers e.t.c.

It is true I didn't mention the "mms" in my original request because I didn't want to narrow down
the problem to only one method . Heck ,I wasn't sure about it either !
i am really concerned about spreading the spyware to a third party by mms reception.

As for the technical advise, I feel truly thankful and I will do my best to pull it through.

Bye for now !
I ' ll be writing back soon

Thanks again  

searchlight

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 4 of 4
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4