Visitors: 105

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

IEF 5.7 ? Patent Pending ?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

Re: IEF 5.7 ? Patent Pending ?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 pm

- MagnetForensics
I'm really at a loss here, there's no evil plan going on behind the scenes, I promise.

I am sure there isn't any, rest assured. Smile

I knew the actual "meaning", it is the why it's "common practice" that was the question, and you kindly provided a nice answer to it:
- MagnetForensics
Companies use it to let people know they have invested some time and money into their work and a patent lawyer has deemed it worthwhile enough (and meets the general requirements) to apply for a patent.

And again, sorry for the OT.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:00 pm

- MagnetForensics
Jaclaz,

Companies use it to let people know they have invested some time and money into their work and a patent lawyer has deemed it worthwhile enough (and meets the general requirements) to apply for a patent.

Jad

Perhaps the phrase "Approved by *insert names of well known forensic clients*" could be less of a panty twister for some people Smile If I saw a piece of software that was recommended by my peers it would make me pay a lot more attention, as we're the people using it and judging its' usefulness based on performance. That's one of the reasons for this forum isn't it, to spread knowledge and help each other out.  

scuzz

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 pm

- scuzz
Perhaps the phrase "Approved by *insert names of well known forensic clients*" could be less of a panty twister for some people Smile If I saw a piece of software that was recommended by my peers it would make me pay a lot more attention, as we're the people using it and judging its' usefulness based on performance. That's one of the reasons for this forum isn't it, to spread knowledge and help each other out.

Scuzz, in that case; ive been using ief for the last two years, and i have to say its great at what it does. We use it regularly.  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 am

Are software patents really moral? Stealling trade secrets is illegal (I hope). Doing something in a similar way to someone else is evolution/flattery. Developing a tool to solve the same problem is a commercial choice. It also helps the whole community to advance.

If the F1 key as a general 'Help' key was subject to a patent, the whole world would be a sader place.

A patent takes a long time to be granted - by which time the world has moved on. Also, the application will also have moved on. The replacement for tablets and iPads might be common place by then. The PC might be 'dead'

Why should a process to be subject to a patent? A few years ago I was involved in a potential patent application that would have stopped my old product being used. The application looked like the application manual for my product that had been in the market for 15-20 years, and concepts that were not totally new when I developed them in the mid 1980s. The application disappeared, but should never have been started.

Patents have their place in the world, but I don't think they are part of software packages.

mscotgrove

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:29 am

Jad
Thanks for the trial offer. We use IEF a lot here, infact I was alerted to the 'Patent Pending' notice from the banner when I first fired up version 5.7.

I'm curious to see what the patent is for, IEF is carving records, what can be so novel for it to be a) worth patenting b) not prevent others from developing their own carvers.

Computer forensics is a discipline that lives and dies on the plurality of the tools available to the investigator and there are a finite number ways of carving records from a computer.

How will patenting an algorithm not affect this?  

hmorgan

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:53 pm

sigh, really people.....IEF is a great tool, leave it at that Smile  

jmburns27

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

www.faqs.org/patents/a...0130166517

Abstract:

A system and a method for locating application-specific data that has been previously deleted and located in an address of the data storage device marked as being available for storing new data. The method includes accessing unidentified data from at least one data storage device; examining the unidentified data to detect at least one application-specific data pattern associated with at least one application; for each detected application-specific data pattern, executing an application-specific validation process to determine whether the unidentified data includes valid data associated with a corresponding application; and if it is determined that the unidentified data includes valid data associated with the corresponding application, then recovering the valid data.  

hmorgan

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 2 of 4
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next