Visitors: 47

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Forensics Android App

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 

Re: Forensics Android App

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 am

- jhup
Is there a way to tell where information was generated by your software, versus keyed in - there is no way to tell form the screenshot if the image details are from EXIF, calculated, or keyed in.

- JWasley
Update 2
I'm at a stage where the project is nearly complete and I'm in need of suggestions / improvements. Good or bad, I'd like to get some feedback.

In light of the above, I second the question below.

- armresl
JWasley,

So you are working on a final paper, why did you put for Law Enforcement on your program?

Armresl & Jhup,

Thanks for the responses.

Armresl - What exactly do you mean by your question? The program is for my final year project at University and I am required to write a 15,000 word report to run alongside it. The program is aimed at Law Enforcement as I had my work placement within a UK based constabulary although in light of your question, it could be used in many forensic related companies.

Jhup - Good question. The fields on the right hand side of the GUI are EXIF data retrieved from the image. The left hand side is manually inputted by the OIC. The word/web based report clearly states that the data gathered is EXIF, but as it isn't a finished feature - I didn't want to print screen.

I should also note that not all of the data retrieved is displayed on the GUI - I didn't want to over crown the interface. It is however, included in the web/word based report.

Hope that cleared a few things up.

JWasley  

JWasley

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

I prefer report to match what is displayed in the GUI. No surprise extra information. Just a thought...  

jhup

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 am

- jhup
I prefer report to match what is displayed in the GUI. No surprise extra information. Just a thought...

Hi jhup,

The extra report includes data such as:

- Compression Type
- Altitude
- Software version
- Flash : BOOLEAN
- Focal Length
- User Comments
- Exposure Mode

Re-reading the extra data gathered, I would agree with you. Perhaps the above is not necessary and would confuse the OIC. Would you say any of the above data would be useful in a case?

Cheers  

JWasley

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 am

Hi all,

I've just created a survey to note down some statistics on my report. Any forensic examiner with a minute to spare, i'd be grateful!

tinyurl.com/d9rdxs9  

JWasley

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 am

Why not create an app that can be launch from the SD card? Or if possible boot from the SD card?
Would it work without altering the data?  

rosako

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 am

- JWasley
Hi all,

I've just created a survey to note down some statistics on my report. Any forensic examiner with a minute to spare, i'd be grateful!

tinyurl.com/d9rdxs9

Q3 - Nokia is not an OS per se. Symbian, Windows, Sailfish, etc

Clicking "Finish Survey" in FF17.0.1 appears to reload the page - does not advance.  

jhup

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 am

- jhup
- JWasley
Hi all,

tinyurl.com/d9rdxs9

Q3 - Nokia is not an OS per se. Symbian, Windows, Sailfish, etc

Clicking "Finish Survey" in FF17.0.1 appears to reload the page - does not advance.

Cheers Jhup. Answers modified.

I noticed this myself, but it appears to be a bug with the provider. All results are submitted.

- rosako
Why not create an app that can be launch from the SD card? Or if possible boot from the SD card?
Would it work without altering the data?

Hi Rosako,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll research into it - Could be implemented as a further development to WATSON.

I have some interesting results coming through already. Thanks to those who have completed the survey already.

JWasley  

JWasley

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 4 of 5
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next