±Partners and Sponsors
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 7
· The Complete Workflow of Forensic Image and Video Analysis
· Browser Anti Forensics
· Coming apart at the SIEMs …
· WeChat Forensics
· DFRWS Europe 2014 Annual Conference – Recap
· Considering A Career in Audio-Video Forensics? Enhance Your Prospects With Continuing Education
· Forensics Europe Expo 2014 – Recap
· Windows Logon Password – Get Windows Logon Password using Wdigest in Memory Dump
· Windows Forensics and Security
±Follow Forensic Focus
Digital Forensics in Accounting
As for licensing, many assert California state law (Section 7521 Business & Professions Code) requires forensic computer examiners to be licensed private investigators or employees of a licensed investigation firm.
(e) Securing evidence to be used before any court, board, officer,
or investigating committee.
For the purposes of this section, a private investigator is any
person, firm, company, association, partnership, or corporation
acting for the purpose of investigating, obtaining, and reporting to
any employer, its agent, supervisor, or manager, information
concerning the employer's employees involving questions of integrity,
honesty, breach of rules, or other standards of performance of job
Obviously licensing is a question for the lawyers to hash out, however training beyond your IT experience is needed before you dive into forensics.
- Senior Member
- mr.mccartneyI am a recent college graduate with many years of experience in IT. I currently work for my father's CPA firm which specializes in divorce and fraud cases. He would like to leverage my IT background by offering data recovery/digital fraud services to his clients. Is there much of a demand for this type of service in the private world?
I'd think that your dad would be the best person to ask.
- mr.mccartneyDo I have to be a registered private investigator to conduct these services in CA?
I'd go to your father's corporate counsel with that question.
I'm not suggesting that you not ask questions here...simply suggesting perhaps better resources...
- Senior Member