Visitors: 52

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Looking to study tools that PwC and similar big firms use

Computer forensics training and education issues. If you are looking for topic suggestions for your project, thesis or dissertation please post here rather than the general discussion forum.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Looking to study tools that PwC and similar big firms use

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 am

Hello there,

I graduated with Bsc Computer Forensics in 2011 and immediately after that I took a gap year to Australia! The time didn't right to commit to a full time position right off the bat after graduation, but I have done a fair bit of soul searching, traveling and feel my time has come to jump into a career.

My particular interest is with PwC, I know people there in different roles, none in forensics unfortunately but a few in other areas. Anyway, having been out of the loop for a while my intention is too give myself a refresher and study in my own time some forensics techniques and tools that the likes of PwC would use regularly. Having a good knowledge of their tools and set up will give me quite an advantage in the interview stages, if I get there that is.

So my questions are as follows;

A) What 5 tools would you say are essential for an investigator at PwC?

B) Are Linux and Mac forensics a big focus in there firm?

C) What 3 books could you recommend reading to bring me up to speed with the industry?

D) Can you recommend anything else I should do to aid my job chances and increase my knowledge?

E) I enjoy writing, should I start a personal forensics blog? Post test scenarios I completed, how I completed them etc.

I understand I am asking quite a bit here and I apologize for firing on all cylinders. Any help is greatly appreciated. Flying home very soon, excited to start learning again, working and making a career for myself.

Thank you,
Iain  

Iain

Re: Looking to study tools that PwC and similar big firms use

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:15 am

- Iain

My particular interest is with PwC, I know people there in different roles, none in forensics unfortunately but a few in other areas.

IMHO a good start would be to expand the acronym, not everyone would know at first glance what you mean by it:
www.all-acronyms.com/PWC

jaclaz

jaclaz

Re: Looking to study tools that PwC and similar big firms us

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 am

I would think that the original post was actually well written...if you don't know PwC is, then it's likely that you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion...it would all be speculation.

Someone who knows what the acronym means is more likely to be able to provide information that would be of value to the OP.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 pm

- keydet89
I would think that the original post was actually well written...if you don't know PwC is, then it's likely that you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion...it would all be speculation.

Someone who knows what the acronym means is more likely to be able to provide information that would be of value to the OP.

Hmmm, Pratt & Whitney Canada would be a good candidate as well.

The reference was just part of my personal campaign against the use of (out of context or not unique/univocal) acronyms, see:
www.forensicfocus.com/...p=6561872/
www.scribendi.com/advi...ms.en.html

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm

- jaclaz

Hmmm, Pratt & Whitney Canada would be a good candidate as well.

You're right. But then, I never assumed that there was one right answer. It could very well be Pratt & Whitney.

From where I sit, I have no knowledge of the tools specifically used by any organization but my own, and since my organization does not use the acronym "PWC" in anyway, I'm not going to respond.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

This place is getting painfully pedantic - 99% of people on this forum would associate PwC (particularly with that capitalisation) with Price Waterh... actually with PwC Smile

We need to play nicely otherwise people, including me, will depart and go elsewhere.
www.twitter.com/sandersonforens
www.facebook.com/recon...resoftware 

PaulSanderson

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 pm

- PaulSanderson

We need to play nicely otherwise people, including me, will depart and go elsewhere.

Well, I will plead guilty of five-zero-seven if that would help convincing you to stay.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next