Visitors: 100

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Jailbreak Released for iPhone4s+,iPad2+

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

Re: Jailbreak Released for iPhone4s+,iPad2+

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 pm

www.redmondpie.com/jai...-tutorial/

seems to be a better indication. ok well again, here's hoping it makes a difference  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm

ahhh slight misunderstanding on my part, i went to jailbreakme.com

I used Redsnow to JB just after I first got it late last year. I updated the iOS a little while back and now onto the latest iOS and have never bothered JB again as I didn't really see any big advantage.

I think jailbreak.me doesn't seem to have the latest info, maybe they stopped updating the site Confused  

Adam10541

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:52 pm

It musnt

Im hoping Ron from Cellebrite wil weigh in on how theyre progressing with the passcode decryption  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 am

Unfortunately I don't think it will make any difference for the passcode bypassing aspect. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe the support up to the iPhone 4/iPad 1 was based upon a boot ROM hardware exploit which another has not been found as yet on the newer devices. As the JB community has now provided an untethered JB for the majority of users, I just don't see them spending more time working on a harder (possibly non-existent) exploit in the hardware now being used.

I reached out to the devs yesterday to confirm the possibility of passcode bypassing for LE and forensic usage but am sceptical that I will receive a response.

Coligulus

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 am

- Coligulus
Unfortunately I don't think it will make any difference for the passcode bypassing aspect. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe the support up to the iPhone 4/iPad 1 was based upon a boot ROM hardware exploit which another has not been found as yet on the newer devices. As the JB community has now provided an untethered JB for the majority of users, I just don't see them spending more time working on a harder (possibly non-existent) exploit in the hardware now being used.

I reached out to the devs yesterday to confirm the possibility of passcode bypassing for LE and forensic usage but am sceptical that I will receive a response.

Colin is right on this, the earlier A4 based devices (iPhone 4/iPad) were jailbroken using a hardware exploit as far as my knowledge goes. This exploit is not available on the more recent A5 and A5X devices. The mass market for jailbroken devices want the ability to install software outside of the app store, with the current software based exploits catering for this, the hardware exploit is an unnecessary alternative. That and there perhaps isn't one.

This is all my understanding and please don't take it as gospel.  

TomP

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:06 am

I'd happily use a normal jailbreak on more occasions if there was a way of removing it at the end of everything. I cant see much happening in password recovery/Imaging soon as much as I hope for it to happen.  

agolding

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:20 am

- agolding
I'd happily use a normal jailbreak on more occasions if there was a way of removing it at the end of everything. I cant see much happening in password recovery/Imaging soon as much as I hope for it to happen.

I've used a jailbreak on an exhibit before but I had express permission from the OIC that it was ok. This was a long time ago as well.

In recent years when jailbreaking devices I have had more occasions where the process has removed data and required a restore from a backup. Obviously this was on a test device for test purposes and in no way an evidential device. As Alex says, there's no way of removing the jailbreak afterwards.  

TomP

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 2 of 3
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next