Visitors: 38

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

X-Ways 16.9 Timeline Support

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: X-Ways 16.9 Timeline Support

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:12 pm

are you seeing last printed in the metadata column for those documents in the primary directory browser?  

EricZimmerman

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Eric, I don't have details at the moment as I'm working on another matter. Sounds like you're immersed in it right now and if you happen to learn anything more about it (including that I'm simply wrong on this), I'm open to your discoveries.

And a supported Event list would be nice. Smile

TuckerHST

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Ok, I took a few minutes to check on metadata. In the extract metadata options in Refine Volume Snapshot, as you're probably aware, selecting the checkbox to place metadata in its own column is followed by an "are you sure" dialog box which serves to discourage the user from doing this. Nevertheless, when I say yes and run it again, nothing else happens (at least to the file known to have a "Last Printed" value in its details). I saw this behavior when first trying out the Event list, too. It seems to require running a new volume snapshot, which is obviously less than optimal.

When I took a new volume snapshot, and opted to store metadata in a column, X-Ways successfully extracted a Last Printed date and put it in the metadata column for my test file. However, it still doesn't show up in the Event list.

Incidentally, have you tried sorting the Event list by type? It follows some arbitrary sorting scheme in which Access appears between Modification and Record Change.

In short, this is a great feature-in-progress. It's limited, buggy, and full of promise.

TuckerHST

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 pm

i wouldnt thing a new VS would be required, but youd have to RVS again with that option turned on. the VS would just see the doc file there. at that point it doesnt go into it to get metadata.

ill set up some tests and kick the tires on that specifically.  

EricZimmerman

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2