±Forensics Europe Expo

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Nokia Lumia 800 [WP7]

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: Nokia Lumia 800 [WP7]

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:55 pm

- agolding
Yeah Zune allows for backups to be made but unfortunately they're encrypted. Zune does allow you to get Media from wp7 devices in the same way as XRY gets them normally.

Firstly, i didn't say above but thanks for your responses and your willingness to help.

Secondly, obviously I must be missing something here as to the part (that is still not clear) why Nokia/Microsoft would prevent download of personal/business data in the clear to the PC?

I understand backup, but due to the 'fact' the directions I posted above from Nokia's own materials states Zune can populate data into existing Ovi or Nokia Suite Folders, which that data is viewable, why does this present problems of access to the data?

I see the issue of data not being accessed if the Lumia is already backed up to another computer, but that assumption is based upon the target handset having actually backed up previously, which is a 50/50 bet.
ForensicMobex now MTEB Linkedin Subgroup 

trewmte

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am

Thats ok.

It's not a case of not wanting the implementation, more of a case of not having time to develop a solution in time for release. Windows Phone 7 was built brand new from the ground up so they had to select what features to include so they included backup for media but nothing else. They have incorporated cloud backup of messages, contacts etc in windows phone 8 but not in windows phone 7 (theyre running on completely different Operating systems, just look the same.

I havent tested OVI suite importation of zune data but I dont imagine it will work as zune doesnt offer the backup of that data to begin with.

The zune backups are 4mb encrypted blocks from when I remember researching them.

Windows phone is incredibly frustrating forensically at the moment.  

agolding

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Looking at a range of tools for Mobile WIN7 tools to see whether they are suitable for examiners. Here is one I have been reviewing last week

www.resco.net/develope...mples.aspx
www.resco.net/mobilefo...ew.aspx#wm
www.resco.net/mobilefo...nload.aspx
ForensicMobex now MTEB Linkedin Subgroup 

trewmte

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 am

- trewmte
Looking at a range of tools for Mobile WIN7 tools to see whether they are suitable for examiners. Here is one I have been reviewing last week

www.resco.net/develope...mples.aspx
www.resco.net/mobilefo...ew.aspx#wm
www.resco.net/mobilefo...nload.aspx

What do you hope to do with those controls?  

polar

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2