Visitors: 55

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Digital Forensics examiner, Charleston, SC, USA

Basic listing free. Premium listing ($79) includes listing on Forensic Focus homepage and RSS newsfeed, notification sent to Forensic Focus Twitter followers, a post to the Forensic Focus Facebook page, a post to the Forensic Focus LinkedIn Group and guaranteed inclusion of a link in the Forensic Focus newsletter. Learn more.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Digital Forensics examiner, Charleston, SC, USA

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 am

I've already spoken with a few people on here about this position, but I'm happy to say we finally have an official job posting and have begun interviewing. Please apply at the link below or let me know via PM if you're interested.

Associate, Digital Forensics

Title

Physical Location
Charleston, SC

Job Description
Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP is a regional, public accounting firm that delivers innovative accounting, tax, audit and specialized services. We are currently seeking a Digital Forensics Associate for our office in Charleston, South Carolina.

As the largest CPA firm based in the Southern U.S., we combine deep industry experience, comprehensive accounting and advisory services and a strong commitment to personal service. We have over 1700 people located throughout the Southern U.S. and Mid-Atlantic located in 30 offices.

Responsibilities:
• Acquire digital evidence from computers, mobile phones, tablets, and other digital devices
• Preserve chain of custody
• Analyze digital evidence using appropriate tools and forensically sound, repeatable processes
• Report findings in writing and verbally to managers, partners, and clients
• Assist with the development of new techniques, procedures, and processes
• Maintain lab tools, apply patches and updates
• Validate tools, equipment, and software
• Work with internal IT staff and vendors to resolve technical issues
• Obtain and maintain digital forensics certifications
• Stay current on trends in digital forensics and technology

Essential Job Requirements:
• Zero to two years of experience conducting digital forensics investigations
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or bachelor’s degree and related work experience
• Professional certifications (EnCE, ACE, CCE, etc.) preferred but not required
• Ability to attain relevant professional certifications is required
• Qualified to obtain a South Carolina Private Investigator license as an employee of the firm. This does not require experience as a private investigator but does require a background check. See the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division website for more information.
• Possess advanced knowledge of Windows operating systems, various file systems, Internet artifacts, and digital storage technologies
• Experience with EnCase or FTK preferred
• Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities in a fast paced work environment
• Ability to generate a quality work product in a timely manner while maintaining strong attention to detail
• Possess advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Willing to invest in learning the processes, regulations, and associated specific tasks required of the position
• Demonstrate excellence in both written and verbal communication, including relaying complex technical information concisely and effectively
• Must be able to travel occasionally on short notice  

Bulldawg

Re: Digital Forensics examiner, Charleston, SC, USA

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Finally a job post that is reasonable in nature and speaks to the forensic practitioners.

You don't need a Masters degree, and have been in LE for 40 years, plus 15 different certs, and also a programmer in 5 different languages, have a full TSC, and be able to image Tianhe-2 in 2 hours.

Hope you find someone good.

- Bulldawg
I've already spoken with a few people on here about this position, but I'm happy to say we finally have an official job posting and have begun interviewing. Please apply at the link below or let me know via PM if you're interested.

Title

Physical Location
Charleston, SC

Job Description
Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP is a regional, public accounting firm that delivers innovative accounting, tax, audit and specialized services. We are currently seeking a Digital Forensics Associate for our office in Charleston, South Carolina.

As the largest CPA firm based in the Southern U.S., we combine deep industry experience, comprehensive accounting and advisory services and a strong commitment to personal service. We have over 1700 people located throughout the Southern U.S. and Mid-Atlantic located in 30 offices.

Responsibilities:
• Acquire digital evidence from computers, mobile phones, tablets, and other digital devices
• Preserve chain of custody
• Analyze digital evidence using appropriate tools and forensically sound, repeatable processes
• Report findings in writing and verbally to managers, partners, and clients
• Assist with the development of new techniques, procedures, and processes
• Maintain lab tools, apply patches and updates
• Validate tools, equipment, and software
• Work with internal IT staff and vendors to resolve technical issues
• Obtain and maintain digital forensics certifications
• Stay current on trends in digital forensics and technology

Essential Job Requirements:
• Zero to two years of experience conducting digital forensics investigations
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or bachelor’s degree and related work experience
• Professional certifications (EnCE, ACE, CCE, etc.) preferred but not required
• Ability to attain relevant professional certifications is required
• Qualified to obtain a South Carolina Private Investigator license as an employee of the firm. This does not require experience as a private investigator but does require a background check. See the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division website for more information.
• Possess advanced knowledge of Windows operating systems, various file systems, Internet artifacts, and digital storage technologies
• Experience with EnCase or FTK preferred
• Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities in a fast paced work environment
• Ability to generate a quality work product in a timely manner while maintaining strong attention to detail
• Possess advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Willing to invest in learning the processes, regulations, and associated specific tasks required of the position
• Demonstrate excellence in both written and verbal communication, including relaying complex technical information concisely and effectively
• Must be able to travel occasionally on short notice

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks.

I'm hopeful that I will find someone good. I've found there are very few employers willing to give people their first job in forensics. I'm looking for someone who wants their first job and has the raw skills to be successful. I'm not going to turn someone away who has a better resume, but my goal isn't to find a veteran.  

Bulldawg

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:55 am

Hey Bulldog,

I applied for the position, I think it is awesome that you are looking to help someone get their foot in the door and get a start in Computer Forensics because it is so rare. I am about to graduate with my Masters in Homeland Security, concentrating in Information Security and Forensics online from PSU. I have no other experience (except for a summer internship with the NC State Bureau of Investigations Comp Crime Division) so I never meet the minimum requirements for even some of the "entry-levels" because they require 3-5 years experience. I have the references and the education, so I am just looking for the opportunity to prove what I can do.

Thank you for posting this opportunity.  

cahill0701

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:08 pm

As you will find out when you get a job in the field, they ask for 3-5 years for a reason.

If you are handed a sheet of paper with an address and an idea of what they are looking for in the case, and that's all you get, you would be in trouble.

Purchase the drive, image the drive, drives, look through the drives, oh they didn't teach you X Ways, or FTK, or Encase, or F Response, OK pull the net history, you didn't learn Net Analysis, or IEF, or PERL

See what I mean, it goes on and on.

I wish you the very best of luck in your job choices, get a leg up on the others, and start learning some of the software they want you to be able to use.

- cahill0701
Hey Bulldog,

I applied for the position, I think it is awesome that you are looking to help someone get their foot in the door and get a start in Computer Forensics because it is so rare. I am about to graduate with my Masters in Homeland Security, concentrating in Information Security and Forensics online from PSU. I have no other experience (except for a summer internship with the NC State Bureau of Investigations Comp Crime Division) so I never meet the minimum requirements for even some of the "entry-levels" because they require 3-5 years experience. I have the references and the education, so I am just looking for the opportunity to prove what I can do.

Thank you for posting this opportunity.

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 pm

But 3-5 years experience isn't entry level is my point, I know why they ask for experience just don't call it entry level. And we have to get experience somewhere outside of school and summer internships. I interned with the NC SBI Computer Crimes division where I worked a lot with EnCase doing both computer and mobile device forensics but that doesn't meet the experience requirements that many places screen for.  

cahill0701

Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 am

I don't expect this person to run out the door on the first day with only my TD1 and an address. I've got training planned for this person, and I'm hiring before I actually need the person so I'm not going to need to rely on them right away.

It's unrealistic to expect every candidate you're going to consider to have 3+ years of experience. How do you break into a field if everyone expects 3+ years? I think this is one reason I have so many good resumes already. There is a pent up supply of people with degrees who aren't getting hired because everyone is looking for experience. And, who knows, maybe the next jhup or keydet89 is out there waiting for someone to give them their first job Smile  

Bulldawg

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next