Visitors: 59

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Jonathan Zdziarski : Waterboard

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Jonathan Zdziarski : Waterboard

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:59 am

I came across this (on Reddit of all places!)

IOS Forensic Acquisition tool : Waterboard

Looks interesting. Probably doesn't do much more than CelleBrite, but apparently its been taken down already? Maybe because of his claim he can acquire over cellular??? Shocked

Anybody seen this (or know where a copy might be floating around!)

... for testing purposes Laughing

4R  

4Rensics

Re: Jonathan Zdziarski : Waterboard

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 am

If I may (and partially OT Embarassed ) the name of the thingy is not exactly what I would call "good taste" Shocked .

Anyway:
twitter.com/JZdziarski...9729828864

Temporarily took waterboard offline while we work out a few issues.

webcache.googleusercon...ient=opera
What is Waterboard?

Waterboard is an iOS forensic imaging tool, capable of performing an advanced logical acquisition of iOS devices by utilizing extended services and back doors in Apple’s built-in lockdown services. These service can bypass Apple’s mobile backup encryption and other encryption to deliver a clear text copy of much of the file system to any machine that can or has previously paired with the device. Acquisition can be performed via usb, or across any
wireless network where the device can be reached. Additionally, if you’re a federal law enforcement agency, you may also have the technical ability to skirt around a mobile carrier’s firewall, and acquire your target over cellular, possibly without their knowledge. (NOTE: device pairing must still first be performed via usb, so there is not a widespread security risk).

Waterboard can be compiled either as a command-line utility for OSX or as a full blown GUI application for either OSX or the iPad / iPad Mini, to perform acquisitions using one of Apple’s connection dongles, such as the Lightning-to-USB adapter.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 am

Yes the name is a little on the borderline isn't it... Shocked

Oh maybe its only down then for a while.

I'm sure it doesn't do too much more than CelleBrite Physical, but as a free tool that can be added to the aresnal without £1000's of dongles, its defo something to try.  

4Rensics

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 am

- 4Rensics

Oh maybe its only down then for a while.

Believe me or not Question , at first sight I read "drown" in the above. Shocked
Wink

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 am

I dont see waterboard as a bad taste name - we shold make an effort to not be so sensitive Smile
www.twitter.com/sandersonforens
www.facebook.com/recon...resoftware 

PaulSanderson

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 am

He says on Twitter ... "Temporarily took waterboard offline while we work out a few issues."  

bbking13

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:30 pm

- PaulSanderson
I dont see waterboard as a bad taste name - we shold make an effort to not be so sensitive Smile

My opinion is that the name, like most of his blog posts, are in bad taste. I stumbled across his blog feeling like this: Smile but left feeling like this: Shocked

Like I say, it's my opinion.

Jonathan

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next