Visitors: 52

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Future of the field

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Future of the field

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:52 am

Thought I'd ask peoples opinion of where they think the field is headed and what would be a good area to be focusing on if you've got the chance.

It's fairly easy to see that storage size is increasing, people are updating their devices annually and often having multiple devices running at the same time; so thats the first challenge

We're also starting to see the "internet of things" coming through, and as a result I can imagine that we will be seeing those devices eventually as well. I imagine that this could potentially blow out examination times as investigators may literally bring the kitchen sink and say "get data off this please".

We're also seeing mobile devices slowly becoming more secure when they're in an off state.

So my question is, what is the best way to stay ahead of the curve?
Do we pick a field and get good at it? Should we be moving more towards live forensics, or proactive forensics? and do people think that slowly dead box forensics will eventually become obsolete.  

randomaccess

Re: Future of the field

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:05 am

I would suggest cloud and encryption, along with an ever increasing number of mobile devices

mscotgrove

Re: Future of the field

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:23 am

The general trend for consumer computing devices seems to be away from the 'traditional' PC/Laptop and certainly more towards mobile devices, whether they be tablets or smart phones.

So I would say that Digital Forensics will get pulled in the same direction, especially the interaction between these devices and their cloud-based services. I see that potentially the kind of data that will be stored on physical devices themselves will only be files that are to large to be efficiently uploaded to a data center over current connections (aside from device configuration and Operating System artifacts). It will be an interesting challenge to work out how to get to the required data, not only from a legal perspective but also how to ensure a 'forensic copy' is acquired.

In order to 'stay ahead of the curve' I guess we'll have to keep our ear to the ground and see what the roadmap looks like for iOS/Android to see what features we may have to end up investigating.

Also, seeing what new web services emerge ('The Next Facebook') and what they leave in terms of artifacts on a system.  

Unicron

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 1