Visitors: 57

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Identifying the Major challenges of DF Investigations

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Which is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in a Digital Forensic Model?

55%

11%

22%

11%

Total Votes: 9

Identifying the Major challenges of DF Investigations

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:18 am

There are several challenges we found to affect the executing of a successful Digital Forensic Investigation with all digital evidences collected and preserve. Of these itemized issues listed below, in your experience in using Forensic Model, please identify them in the order of importance.

1. Legal Issues:(obtaining legal consent to carry-out the process and acquire data),

2. Technical issues:(having the right tools, per evolving technology, to execute DF without tampering with evidence),

3. Administrative Issues:(getting through with administrative bottle-necks and bureaucracy in the course of DF investigation),and

4. Cost:(high cost in terms of time, money, personnel and infrastructure to successfully conduct a DF investigation, even though the eventual result may not justify the cost involved).

PLEASE, REARRANGE IN YOUR ORDER OF IMPORTANCE(e.g 1,2,3,4) AND YOU CAN ADD MORE CHALLENGES NOT EVEN LISTED HERE.
Thank you. Smile  

bolajidiran

Re: Identifying the Major challenges of DF Investigations

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:39 am

I think I would be more willing to engage in your discussion if you were to post them in the order in which you feel they are most important, and explain your reasons as well! Looking back on your posts on this forum, I cannot help but think we are doing your homework!  

JuicyCarp

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:03 pm

This is, of course, only my opinion. A primary purpose of digital forensics is the use of science to answer questions about digital evidence for the legal community. The major challenge is to provide evidence that has probative value.

A survey isn't required to address the major challenge given the four choices.

sgware

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 pm

I went with cost. Aside from all of the challenges of staying on top of different file/operating systems and applications. The costs for hardware, software, training, certifications, etc… Let's face it the annual subscription fees for tools that we need are not getting any cheaper. These are difficult to get by administrators, who are asking didn't we buy that already?

The other areas provided can be challenging as well.

Regards,

Chris Currier  

nlpd120

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 am

- JuicyCarp
I think I would be more willing to engage in your discussion if you were to post them in the order in which you feel they are most important, and explain your reasons as well! Looking back on your posts on this forum, I cannot help but think we are doing your homework!

Thank you JuicyCrap,
My order is
1.Cost(high cost in terms of time, money, personnel and infrastructure to successfully initiate/conduct a DF investigation)
2.Legal(this is the essence of DFI,to get legally admissible evidence,most models are concerned on technical processes that even may not be legally feasible)
3.Administrative Issues:(getting through with administrative bottle-necks, approval and bureaucracy as a DF Investigator into an organisation/system under investigation)
4.Technical(its hard task keeping the pace of evolution of DF Models with technological development)

I am a beginner in DF,but I have been working on DF Models that will be effective and usable especially in developing countries.So I thought getting the experienced insight as regards the factors that that are paramount. I can up with this four listed above.Are there more?

I will post my proposed model after this for your comments.  

bolajidiran

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 am

Just for the record, since TWO same polls were posted, my reply is on the other one.
Here:
www.forensicfocus.com/...c/t=11456/
(cross-linking it)

I will however re-state here how the Legal aspect is a pre-requisite, independent from anything else and coming BEFORE anything else.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 pm

and to be be picky, the question of the survey does not match the "question" of the thread.

"Which is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in a Digital Forensic Model?" is not equivalent to " Identifying the Major challenges".

An important factor can be non-challenging, such as authority. If there is no authority, there is no activity. Or something can be a major challenge, but not an important factor, for example resource cost.

The survey asks about "Digital Forensic Model". What is "Model" here? Are we discussing operational aspects, or a SOP for intake and analysis of evidence - which does not include things like "[a]dministrative [i]ssues" and "[c]ost".

Which would you like answered? Mr. Green  

jhup

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next