Visitors: 56

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

I have been offered an interview opportunity with Deloitte

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

I have been offered an interview opportunity with Deloitte

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:42 am

Hi there,

I am currently studying my masters in computer forensics and i have been offered an interview for a graduate position next week in Deloitte's IT Security and Forensics department. I am just trying to prepare for the interview and was wondering if some people with more experience (or whom happen to work in Deloitte) could give me an idea of what to expect during the interview process, like would it be a sit down interview Q&A type thing or would i be given tasks to accomplish to demonstrate my skill.

Do Deloitte follow a particular format of interviewing? I am currently trying to find out who will actually be interviewing me so that i can try and anticipate the questions i will be asked and also to have questions of my own prepared.

Any advice to help me prepare is greatly appreciated.  

Nirnias

Re: I have been offered an interview opportunity with Deloit

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 pm

I do not know Deloitte (apart from the name).

However, at any interview, be yourself. You have got to suit them, and they have got to suit you.

For homework, try and learn about the company.

Just be yourself.

mscotgrove

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 pm

And don't say that a MD5 hash is 32 bits long.

True story.

I didn't get the job.  

twjolson

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:08 am

The interview process varies depending on the company. I have been through several different interviews over the past two years and have found they tend to follow a pattern:

1) A 35-45 minute face to face interview. This will usually be with a director and senior team member, and the purpose is for them to ascertain how well you present yourself both physically and verbally. They may want to determine whether you could represent the company off-site during a collection and talk to the client in a suitable manner. If you're scruffy and have poor verbal communication skills, they may think twice about hiring you. There will be discussion about your background, relevant skills and what you want to achieve at their company. As previously mentioned, research on the company and their activities will prove useful, if you say you wish to branch into E-Discovery and the company do not offer that service then you might be shooting yourself in the foot. The company has to be right for you, and you for it!

2) If you are successful at the first stage interview, you will be invited back for a second stage interview, which is usually more technical based, with questions aimed at determining whether the qualifications you have are worth the paper they're printed on. I have been asked to look through printed Hex dumps and identify the file based on the header, or you may be asked some questions about current legislation that you might expect to encounter in the course of an investigation. For example, CPA 1978, CJA 2003, PACE 1984, CJIA 2008, CPIA 1996 etc...

3) Third stage interviews are for the senior management team to get a feel for you and determine whether you'd fit the dynamic of their company environment. Generally a short 30 minute conversation and discussion about your intentions with the company.

I've also had interviews that consisted of EnCase tasks, written tests and logical assessments.

One thing I cannot stand to hear is the use of "ummm", "eerrrr" or "like" every third or fourth word!! Listen to the question, take a second to think of a concise answer and present it. If you answer a question "well errr I think I'd like do really well like in the company because eerrr I like get on well with like all types of people, ya know!?" it just makes you sound moronic IMHO. People tend to use umm and like as commas in conversation these days.

Best of luck with your interview, let us know how it goes!

Simon  

scuzz

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi Simon,

The Um's that you describe are in no way any indication of the level or um failure of a person to possess the knowledge needed for a specific um task.

If I had a $ for every incredible attorney, or GOOD expert witness that used um on a regular basis on the stand, or in conversations. I'd be a billionaire.

Sorry about the um's and comma's

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:20 pm

- armresl
The Um's that you describe are in no way any indication of the level or um failure of a person to possess the knowledge needed for a specific um task.

Indeed they are not, I only referenced it for the purposes of ensuring that Nirnias creates a good impression.  

scuzz

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 pm

- scuzz
- armresl

Indeed they are not, I only referenced it for the purposes of ensuring that Nirnias creates a good impression.

Which is greatly appreciated thank you. I do not consciously do it, but now that you have mentioned it i will try to be aware of it during the interview. I have been prepping and spend 30 minutes on the phone with Deloitte's HR manager who was good enough to walk me through what to expect.

Tomorrow i am meeting with a contact who worked in their IT department who is going to spend an hour or so going through the interview process with me to best prepare myself. Have got to go buy some new attire also i think.  

Nirnias

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next