Visitors: 66

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Car Camera Forensics

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

Car Camera Forensics

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 am

Hi Guys,

This time im back with something unique lets see how we can get round this.

So for some reason i am to analyze a car camera. Its a 2010 Land Cruiser from "Toyota", they claim that whenever the gear is shifted to (R- Reverse) the camera on the car screen is enabled so that the driver can view his surroundings to avoid any collision. The dealer has claimed that the car takes automatic snapshots from every video (whenever the car is put into Reverse mode).

So we asked them if theres a way to find out where those screenshots are saved i.e memory of the car, and the answer was "We don't know, we will have to contact the mother company".

Has anyone got any clue where the memory of the car is located, so we can investigate what does it include (i.e images, location etc... ) .

Cheers  

CopyRight

Re: Car Camera Forensics

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 am

Just to be clear. On which screen are the camera's shown?
I've seen navigation systems with the possibility to attach a camera. I would search for snapshots/video's on the navigation system if that's the case.  

kbertens

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 am

Yeah it shows in the navigation screen, so how can I extract those snapshots from the navigation systems? How do i pull the data ?  

CopyRight

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 am

Depends on the navigation system of course.
I would recommend to find out what system it is, normally it isn't made by the car manufacturer.
Maybe you can find information about the system on the internet.
The navigation system can be equipped with a harddrive (newer models), the 'older' ones has some kind of flash memory.  

kbertens

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 am

Hi

There is no way for the driver/consumer to view these 'snapshots'. I have verified this on a Toyota Hilux, which has the same camera as the Cruiser.

I am not the owner of the vehicle and have not inspected the camera unit (which is is also the main display for the radio, mobile phone etc).

I would be interested to learn your findings as this is of interest to me too.

Thanks  

badgerau

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:16 am

There is probably no way to view the snapshots as a consumer, but as a forensic investigator....

@Badgerau, do you have information about the navigation system. any HD inside?  

kbertens

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 am

I have requested access to the vehicle but it may take a few days before I can report back.  

badgerau

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 4
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next