Overall: 27614
Visitors: 46

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Digital Forensics: A Billion-Dollar Market in the Making?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Digital Forensics: A Billion-Dollar Market in the Making?

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:06 am

I've noticed one or two articles recently along the lines of this one from Inc. where one of the points made is that digital forensics is at a kind of tipping point with rapid expansion on the horizon. Interested to hear thoughts on this - is it just hype/wishful thinking, or is there more to it than that?
Twitter: twitter.com/ForensicFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/forensicfocus
Google+: www.google.com/+ForensicFocus
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamiemorris 

jamie
Site Admin

Re: Digital Forensics: A Billion-Dollar Market in the Making?

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:16 am

- jamie
I've noticed one or two articles recently along the lines of this one from Inc. where one of the points made is that digital forensics is at a kind of tipping point with rapid expansion on the horizon. Interested to hear thoughts on this - is it just hype/wishful thinking, or is there more to it than that?

Personally I made a vow to stop reading *anything* containing any among "new age", "the Internet of Things" and "smart" attributed to any device, whichever comes first. Wink

And here we have all three in two sentences Shocked :
Why is the digital forensics industry poised to be the next billion-dollar market?

The industry is going to expand dramatically over the next few years because we are entering a new age of computing shaped by the Internet of Things. In the coming years, everything will be smart, including our cars, thermostats, and refrigerators.

More seriously, it seems to me like a visionary view of a future lifestyle that may (or may not) happen.

I am sure that cloud storage represents a new field that needs and will need to be addressed, but this is a bit too much as I see it:
Now, law enforcement can arrest a suspect, but on the person's laptop, phone, tablet, there's nothing. All the data and files are stored in the cloud. The cloud is like a black box; you don't get to see what's inside, and you aren't told where data is stored or who has acess to it.

Please note the typo in "acess" that even this board software spelling corrector catches....
... possibly the wordprocessor Inc. uses is not "smart" enough. Wink

jaclaz

jaclaz

Re: Digital Forensics: A Billion-Dollar Market in the Making

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Electronic discovery was a billion dollar market. Now it is waning and much of the rush a few years ago into the industry needs an outlet. What is to do the push-button eD company with a squadron of "experts"? Got it! Fire half of them, and the rest are now forensic experts!

I guess that could be a tipping point.

I am quite sure that precipices in an industry are created by disruptive ideas. Something that throws a wrench into the status quo... I have yet to see that wrench.  

jhup

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:23 pm

It is more likely we will see corporations start using automated forensics built into centrally manged DLP software so that a security engineer can push a button to generate a report with evidence. Of course it is also likely that the DLP software will get consumed into the log management software so that eventually you have one integrated console for all of the parts we now do separately. In short all of the segmented parts of the whole security equation will get brought together as the security field matures. AKA for the corporate user forensics mostly goes away. Of course if the courts/law enforcement blow up into huge users of forensic software (think 100's of times greater than now) then we might have a tipping point for forensics but I believe the Inc. author and his professors premise does not make sense in light of industry trends.  

InfoSecCow

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:11 am

- InfoSecCow
automated forensics

Good luck with that.  

MDCR

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:44 am

If that happens my thesis writing will become way easier.

I am thinking . . . 42.ZIP anyone? Twisted Evil

Of course, being cautious isn't a bad idea. After all, the BWMG* thought they had the market cornered... Shocked

*Buggy Whip Makers Guild

jhup

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 am

- jhup

I am thinking . . . 42.ZIP anyone? Twisted Evil

I prefer Droste Wink :
www.steike.com/code/us...ile-quine/

jaclaz

jaclaz

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies