±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 33155
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 276

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Technical Assessment

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Technical Assessment

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi,

I've passed the paper sift for an internal vacancy for a Digital Forensics Officer within the UK Police force I currently work for. I have no background or real experience with digital forensics however I am very confident in my IT abilities and I have a good practical knowledge of CCTV and image recovery from the role I currently perform.

I've been told the next stage of the process is a technical assessment which won't be an assessment of digital forensic skill as the post does not require any previous experience, but is a knowledge test focusing on the types of background knowledge one would require to perfom the role. I'm guessing this will be based on knowledge of various operating systems, including mobile phones and tablet PC's, hardware identification and data transfer types.

Does anyone have any examples of such tests that may assist me or any ideas of the kind of questions that may be asked? I'm told it will be a 1.5hr paper based assessment.

I really really want this job as I think it will suit me perfectly however my hunger for it has bred a lack of confidence in my abilities. Some prior preparation would be a great way to put my mind at ease!

Many thanks in advance!

Rich  

NotoriousBSE

Re: Technical Assessment

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Are you able to post the vacancy advertisement (e.g. www.forensicfocus.com/...c/t=11293/ ) that actually describes their understanding on what they think is involved regarding "knowledge" needed to perform the role as a "Digital Forensics Office"? That way it could be helpful when suggesting ideas to you.

- NotoriousBSE
I've been told the next stage of the process is a technical assessment which won't be an assessment of digital forensic skill as the post does not require any previous experience...

- NotoriousBSE
but is a knowledge test focusing on the types of background knowledge one would require to perfom the role.

Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

trewmte

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't do as you asked, as the post was advertised internally and only to internal applicants, however it was fairly non specific. I think it was phrased something along the lines of "Applicants must be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of Windows based operating systems and be able to identify key computer components."

It didn't really go into any more detail than that. I have spoken to one of the supervisors of the dept and they said the assessment wouldn't require us to demonstrate any prior knowledge of digital forensics, it would simply be a test to 'sort the wheat from the chaff' as it were and identify the people who actually know what a hard drive looks like and how to navigate the command line, from the ones that can just send an email or make a spreadsheet.

I know I can do all of that and probably won't have much of a problem with the test but I'd feel so much better if I could get a little practice in first. I really really want this job...

Any ideas?

Again, many thanks

Rich  

NotoriousBSE

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:19 am

- NotoriousBSE

I've passed the paper sift for an internal vacancy for a Digital Forensics Officer within the UK Police force I currently work for.

Congrats! Smile

I've been told the next stage of the process is a technical assessment which won't be an assessment of digital forensic skill as the post does not require any previous experience, but is a knowledge test focusing on the types of background knowledge one would require to perfom the role. I'm guessing this will be based on knowledge of various operating systems, including mobile phones and tablet PC's, hardware identification and data transfer types.

I am fairly sure that you have guessed right. Normally, such a test might include the things you've listed, as well as your knowledge of the ACPO guidelines - read up on them, they're quite simple.

If you have an IT background and an interest in the field then to be honest that's most of the fight done. Don't get disheartened and do your best! Smile  

Chris_Ed

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:21 am

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I didn't even think about ACPO guidelines or RIPA etc, I was too busy focusing about the technical side of things. I'm very glad I asked the question now.

Would you happen to have access to an example of such an assessment or know anyone who might? I'm really grateful for your assistance.

Either way, I'm glad I can wipe at least some of the sweat from my brow!

Many thanks,

Rich  

NotoriousBSE

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:32 pm

Rich, I now have a better understanding what you are looking for I do have a copy of the Overview of the Investigation Process if you want to send to me a PM with your email address. Greg
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

trewmte

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:29 am

- NotoriousBSE
Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I didn't even think about ACPO guidelines or RIPA etc, I was too busy focusing about the technical side of things. I'm very glad I asked the question now.

Would you happen to have access to an example of such an assessment or know anyone who might? I'm really grateful for your assistance.

Either way, I'm glad I can wipe at least some of the sweat from my brow!

Many thanks,

Rich

I have been through such a test for Law Enforcement myself, and to be honest it mainly consisted of broad computer knowledge and ACPO bobbins. I would put the ACPO guidelines as one of the highest priorities to learn if you're not familiar - but they're not difficult. Can give you a super quick overview if you want. Also, questions about converting binary to hex to decimal and back are nice and easy to write for examiners, so brush up on that sort of thing. Smile

The test itself will depend on the force who are giving it - there is no single standard. It could be ball-breakingly hard, it could be relatively straightforward, but if as you say they aren't too worried about previous forensic experience (and the test isn't a "forensic" test) then honestly given what you've said I suspect you'll be fine.

When is it? Please let us know how it went afterwards!  

Chris_Ed

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next