±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35530
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 94

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Child Exploitation Hash Sets

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

airo

Child Exploitation Hash Sets

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 11:50

Hi

Can anybody help us locate the Child Exploitation Hash Sets. We are currently looking at writing scanning software for images and classify them in different categories. Having access to these hash sets would be useful.

We know that these hashsets should be free but failed to get access to them, and not sure whom to reach.

Thanks & regards
Ian  

Chris_Ed

Re: Child Exploitation Hash Sets

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 12:05

Hi Ian,

I'm going to assume you're not in Law Enforcement for the sake of this reply; if you are LE then there should be channels by which you can obtain hash sets. Whether they "should be free" or not is perhaps a different conversation. Outside of LE you will have a difficult time obtaining hash sets like this.

That aside - broadly speaking, what you are looking for is Project VIC. Have you tried applying to become an official partner at somewhere like ForceLab? That seems to be the developer-facing version of VIC.

As another aside - do you need specific hash sets of child expoitation material? If you are working on "scanning and categorisation" software then surely you can build your own hash set and demonstrate it on a working copy. but pretending for a moment that you have the hash sets, how do you test it? By downloading your own child exploitation material..? This is an extremely dangerous (and illegal) path, so please beware.  

airo

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 13:01

Thanks for your information I will have a look.

I know that we cannot test this particular functionality of the solution we are planning as it would be illegal, however if it works in practice we should be able to find LE with the necessary clearance willing to run some tests and pass feedback.

Thanks & regards
Ian  

dan0841

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 14:09

- airo
Thanks for your information I will have a look.

I know that we cannot test this particular functionality of the solution we are planning as it would be illegal, however if it works in practice we should be able to find LE with the necessary clearance willing to run some tests and pass feedback.

Thanks & regards
Ian

I would just write your software and there should be no need for Child Abuse hash sets. You could test fully and in principle using any hash sets which you create yourself (Ie Hashes of any sets of legal pics/videos etc). The technical solution is identical.

LE would (and should IMHO) be very cautious about releasing hash sets externally.  

EricZimmerman

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 21:22

no one in LE is going to release hash sets like this.

as others have said, make up your own data and use that. if you are doing binary hashing, it doesnt matter. things like a photoDNA or similar solution (ie fuzzy matching) can still be fabricated.

once you get things to a working state, get with LE (local ICAC, IcacCops, etc) and let them test the software against their data (they will have all the actual files in question and the hash sets, so they can run it thru its paces)  

tracedf

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 22:14

- dan0841

LE would (and should IMHO) be very cautious about releasing hash sets externally.

Why are they so restrictive about the hash sets? They can't be used to recreate the images. If they made these more widely available, I think they would find that many organizations would proactively scan for them and report offenders to law enforcement. I worked in a K-12 school district and we would have loved to have a way to identify if any of our staff/teachers ever downloaded child exploitation photos.  

EricZimmerman

Post Posted: Sep 13, 16 22:19

because if a pedophile got a hold of the hash sets they would know what LE knows and can act accordingly.

if you have a school resource officer that is a good way to get access to LE stuff, but giving things out like hashes and keywords to the general public wont happen.  

Page 1 of 4
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next