Visitors: 48

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Macbook Air Acquisition

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Macbook Air Acquisition

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi All,

I just acquired one of these and wanted to share my findings. This was a newer Macbook Air with 2 USB ports:

-Raptor allows you to boot into the machine but does not recognize the SSD drive.
-Paladin allows you to boot into the machine but does not recognize the SSD drive. This one shouldn't have been a surprise but the website clearly states "Boot standard PCs and Intel Macs in a forensically sound manner (including the MacBook Air)" so I was hoping that one would intend to image the mac after booting into it forensically.
-LinEn allows you to boot into the machine but does not recognize the SSD drive.

I ended up using FTK Imager for Mac GUI (http://www.appleexaminer.com/Utils/Downloads.html) to perform a live acquisition. It took about 2 hours to capture/transfer the 128GB drive to a USB2.0 external drive.

I am also told that EncasePortable will do the job (using the boot CD, as it won't boot of USB drive).

Hope this helps some people in the future!  

isth

Re: Macbook Air Acquisition

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Here is a write up on imaging a Macbook Air with WinFE as another option that may work:
katanaforensics.com/20...cbook-air/  

bshavers

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 pm

All possible solutions. I would recommend MacQuisition from BlackBag as it is a licensed version of OS X from Apple, which has been forensically modified and has been tested on over 200 Apple devices including the Air.
It was also in the review that bshavers mentioned.

Full disclosure I am the VP of Product Development at BlackBag.  

r00ster

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:53 am

We have had very good results since we purchased MacQuisition including on a MacBook Air with a SSD. Slow only in the USB/Firewire speed restriction but very efficient and extremely easy to use, not to mention portable! Smile

kiashi

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Greetings,

I was unable to get a Mac Air to boot with WinFE. Multiple sources told me that the Air would only boot from an external OS X boot source so WinFE, Raptor, etc all will not work on "recent" Airs. The only surefire option, at the moment, seems to be MacQuisition.

-David

kovar

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but have you heard of Paladin by Sumuri? It's pretty good and at a good price, FREE Smile

Steve Whalen, who created the Raptor Live CD, created Paladin when he left Forward Discovery.

www.sumuri.com/index.p...&Itemid=87

www.sumuri.com/softwar...nload.html

Joe  

jgarcia

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:36 am

Another alternative is to install a licensed copy of retail OSX onto a USB and set the permissions on the /Volumes folder on your USB based OSX to prevent auto-mounting during boot. From here you can use FTK imager or dd to image

Ian  

imk54831

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 3
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next