Visitors: 67

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Case studies involving smartphone EXIF data

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Case studies involving smartphone EXIF data

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm doing my final year project on the forensic value of EXIF data, including geolocation data, plus how it can be amended to mislead investigators.

I'm looking for case studies where EXIF data (either smartphone or camera) or geolocation data has been used for malicious purposes, or to aid an investigation.

I know Dave Benford has done a lot of work in this field and I've already tapped him for info, but I was hoping the community might be able to point me in the right direction Smile  

jhannon

Re: Case studies involving smartphone EXIF data

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:59 pm

In sleepy Perth (Western Australia) our drug user criminals aren't the brightest lot.

It is quite common for iPhones seized by Police to have pictures of the criminals standing in front of large marijuana plantations they have set up in remote bush locations.

These guys would often be arrested on unrelated matters, the phones would be examined and these nice photos would be checked for geo data which we could plot into google maps then forward the information to the local detectives to go and do what they needed to do.

This was also very common for guys smoking and using drugs inside their own homes. With the amazing accuracy of the GPS data on iPhones it was often enough to get search warrants for houses as well.

Just a few of my own experiences Smile  

Adam10541

Re: Case studies involving smartphone EXIF data

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:34 am

This recent one quickly came to mind:

www.informationweek.co.../232900329  

eyez0n

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 1