Visitors: 69

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

Secure Deletion Software

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Secure Deletion Software

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 am

I am doing some research into Artefact wiping and secure deletion and wanted to know if anybody has any good programs which they could recommend. I've looked at programs such as BCWipe and CCleaner but was hoping somebody is aware of any less well known pieces of software that may be beneficial?

Thanks!  

NULB12

Re: Secure Deletion Software

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Found via Google:

Eraser
Secure Erase
sdelete
recuva
boot and nuke
Window Washer
R-wipe&clean
Prevent Restore
Secure-Delete  

keydet89

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 pm

WinHex does an excellent job of securely wiping files or devices. You can see the sectors and quickly calculate a checksum of the area to prove it's wiped (if you choose x00).

FAU also has a wipe utility, wipe.exe. both a x86 and 64bit version. Then there is always the dd if=/dev/zero if target is a block device.

I have tested and verified them.  

sgware

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:17 pm

+1 for Winhex, very fast and also flexible. Allows you to wipe physical and logical discs, individual files or even a selection of sectors if you choose.

Eraser is a nice easy to use free tool as well, does what it says on the box Smile  

Adam10541

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 am

Cheers for the info much appreciated!  

NULB12

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 am

Depending on why you want to delete the information, the trick might also be in hiding the use of deletion software. That can be a different, and trickier, question.  

Dominic

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:31 am

- Dominic
Depending on why you want to delete the information, the trick might also be in hiding the use of deletion software. That can be a different, and trickier, question.

Normally, a good secure eraser will also clean up its traces by erasing the corresponding file system records. However, I don't know of any secure deletion software that would actually go look for shadow copies of the file in system areas such as those created by Windows Volume Snapshot Service (Volume Shadow Copy Service, or VSS), and *this* can be the tricky part.

Belkasoft

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 1