±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 34981
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 143

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

CAINE 1.0 is now available

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

CAINE 1.0 is now available

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:42 am

CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is a GNU/Linux live distribution created by Giancarlo Giustini as a project of Digital Forensics for Interdepartment Center for Research on Security (CRIS), supported by the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia.

www.caine-live.net/  

douglasbrush

Re: CAINE 1.0 is now available

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:52 am

This is a first forensically sound CAINE release. Unlike many other "forensic" Live CDs it does not recover file systems during the boot Smile

So stay up to date.  

thefuf

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:58 pm

For what it's worth, I've started a personal blog on digital forensics with open-source, and it just so happens I've spent a couple of hours with CAINE 1 too. It's hardly a comprehensive review but I'd love any feedback you may have, especially if you have used it to perform acquisitions or analyses.

There is a note about its handling of filesystems. One of the team have been in contact, too.

Thanks!
Ben @ www.seawolfsanctuary.com
seawolf @ twitter & identi.ca
www.seawolfsanctuary.com 

seawolf

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:10 am

Greetings,

A minor complaint. If your review, and the comments, are moved off the site it becomes more difficult to find all, or most, of the information in one place. One of the things I like about FF, and the CCE list, is that I can search them and usually find the entire discussion thread in one place.

I also understand the desire to drive traffic to your blog, particularly since I've been considering blogging myself.

I wonder if there is a happy medium?

-David

kovar

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:33 am

- kovar
It becomes more difficult to find all, or most, of the information in one place. One of the things I like about FF, and the CCE list, is that I can search them and usually find the entire discussion thread in one place.

I also understand the desire to drive traffic to your blog, particularly since I've been considering blogging myself.

I wonder if there is a happy medium?

I do understand your point and I agree that everything has it's place (e.g. experiences of members here) but publishing it elsewhere opens up commenting & discussion to a wider audience and perhaps inviting others in to the conversation. That, and being I haven't used it in a more professional context, are the only reasons I haven't discussed it directly on this board.
I linked to it, as I'm sure you see, to make those interested aware that it is there. I'm pretty sure that comments are open to anyone as a guest so there aren't any restrictions.

I do see the point you're making and agree with it, it would be good to collect it together. For now though, links are all I have!
seawolf @ twitter & identi.ca
www.seawolfsanctuary.com 

seawolf

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 pm

This is a first forensically sound CAINE release. Unlike many other "forensic" Live CDs it does not recover file systems during the boot

Where is your documentation to support this statement (IE, which "many other "forensic" Live CDs" recover file systems during the boot process)?

Cheers!

farmerdude

www.onlineforensictraining.com

www.forensicbootcd.com  

farmerdude

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Where is your documentation to support this statement (IE, which "many other "forensic" Live CDs" recover file systems during the boot process)?

Here (on FF) and here: www.computer-forensics...gators.pdf  

thefuf

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next