Visitors: 66

±Follow Forensic Focus

Join our LinkedIn group

Subscribe to news

Subscribe to forums

Subscribe to blog

Subscribe to tweets

What Forensic Software do you recommend if buying personally

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 

What Forensic Software do you recommend if buying personally

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:38 pm

I recently just passed my GCFA and was curious as to what software is good for analyzing data/memory, indexing files in allocated and unallocated space?

I realize everyone is going to say FTK or Encase but keep in mind, I am buying this with my own proceeds not the companys so what software program can you recommend?

I currently use Helix Pro & FTK Imager for obtaining images.

Any advice or insight would be great.  

reedsie

Re: What Forensic Software do you recommend if buying person

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:45 pm

The best is the best, you can't be on a budget for software. For the most part every examiner has a copy of Encase and FTK in their toolbox, it would be good of you to get both.

Someone is having a sale on FTK in the for sale section. 2 copies for 3k, that is a steal.

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 pm

I would love to if I had the money to do so....

Any other suggestions?  

reedsie

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 pm

I recommend you investigate the tools listed on the Open Source Digital Forensics web site. Also, "the Autopsy Forensic Browser is a graphical interface to the command line digital investigation analysis tools in The Sleuth Kit." (Brian Carrier)  

ba2llb

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks I have used this and I am looking for commercial software to use.

How about Xray forensics? Winhex to be exact.

Thanks  

reedsie

Re: What Forensic Software do you recommend if buying personally

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Greetings,

X-Ways is the best value for the dollar if you're technically inclined. It is designed for knowledgeable analysts and the learning curve is a bit steep. Once you get up that curve, it is a very powerful, reliable, tool.

-David

kovar

Re: What Forensic Software do you recommend if buying personally

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:16 pm

there's no need to purchase any software. There are enough free/open source solutions that a knowledgeable analyst could do everything that could be done with the commercial tools, and even more, using just what's freely available.

It's not about the tool...and analyst who's a "tool" will make a mess of a case regardless of whether they're using FTK or EnCase or anything else. There are plenty of free and open source solutions out there that a knowledgeable analyst can use to great effect.

I'm putting together an internal training package, and part of it includes analyzing an image. I'm doing the analysis, as well...oddly enough, I don't have any commercial tools at my disposal, but I'm already mostly completed with analysis AND reporting.  

keydet89

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share this forum topic to encourage more replies

Page 1 of 11
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next