±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35868
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 125

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Evaluating Mobile Telephone Connection Behaviour - Part 2

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mar 24, 11 17:36

by Sam Raincock

Within the UK, details of past telephone connections are stored by the network providers. The minimum storage is advised by the Data Retention (EC Directive) Regulations. However, each network provider is able to disclose different types of information about past connection activity and this availability also changes over time. As a result, it is important to be familiar with what connection record information may be available to your case so you can make appropriate requests to obtain access to it...

Read more

Please use this thread for discussion of Sam's latest column.
Twitter: twitter.com/ForensicFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/forensicfocus 

IanF

Re: Evaluating Mobile Telephone Connection Behaviour - Part 2

Post Posted: Jun 17, 11 18:05

Sam,

In your article you mention using Excel/pivot tables/sorts etc to analyze electronic call records - is this your preferred method or do you use any software packages for this ?

I was just self-debating about creating a data analysis toolkit that could be used to analyze the data. I've done a large amount of data analysis and have been working on databases for the past 16 years so it should be something I can knock up pretty quiickly.

Cheers,
Ian  

samr

Re: Evaluating Mobile Telephone Connection Behaviour - Part 2

Post Posted: Sep 02, 11 15:56

Ian

My apologies for not responding sooner - work has been busy and I am trying to get away from 80 hour weeks (well for now) Smile

In response to your question - the main issue with connection records is that the formats are different from each of the providers, they change over time and can be produced in different ways (for example, some with the 'legs' of the connections etc.). I am working on scripting some automation of this but it does make it difficult. There are some tools available but in my experience it can end up in losing some important data - such as if connections have been answered or not. If only they were all standardised......

I have nearly finished the answers article to my March/April article and have a CISSP article on the way to....sorry folks for my lack of recent posts.....but I'll be back Smile

Kind regards

Sam Raincock  

Page 1 of 1