±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36200
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 197

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

SSD Forensics

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 

jhup

Re: SSD Forensics

Post Posted: Nov 20, 12 20:16

Tangential topic on research paper availability -

I have come to loath looking for research. Academic research is hijacked and imprisoned by crazy pay-walls.

Have you ever looked at a synopsis of research, just to find out that the cost to read the rest is insane?

US$299 for personal copy of "Journal of Digital Forensics & Incident Response".
It is US$927.20 for an institution.
A single article is US$31.50.

The author not just gets zero commission, he also gives up much of his rights . . . and is "suggested" to provide service in the form of refereeing and editorial work.

[...] in order to safeguard the correct scientific record, [Publisher] does not permit the posting of published journal articles (either the pdf provided by [Publisher] or HTML files) on any open websites.

They say they provide " stewardship of the scientific literature", but what they are doing is forcing scientists to either spend a large portion of their research budget on reprints, or reinvention the wheel.

They restrict the free exchange of information.

Some (12,950 as of this writing) scientists are fed up with it, and they are banding together.

thecostofknowledge.com/  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Nov 20, 12 22:32

- jamie
C'mon guys, gmlw0908 helpfully suggested a potentially useful source of information. Whether or not she's happy to post an email address publicly or share the paper more broadly is really up to her - I don't see any need for these responses. If we genuinely want to encourage students to share their research, this isn't the way to do it.

Jamie

No, Jamie, sorry but I disagree, strongly disagree.

I do understand how some Author may have published a book (or an article on a pay-only site) and provides a link to actually buy/subscribe.
It is the Author's intellectual property and he/she is perfectly free and within his/her rights to do so.

As well Gabrielle (and her boyfriend) are perfectly free to publish their e-mails and/or ask for the e-mails of members in order to send them a copy.

But still my personal opinion is that BOTH the latter are foolish actions, and while the - rest assured absolutely friendly - perplexity about publishing an e-mail is just that (I do find not advisable to publish an e-mail address), the point about privately sending a paper as oppsed to publish it for all people is something that I strongly object to.

It's "knowledge", this "restricted circles", "friends only" or "club only" (included the secret hand shake) is something completely out-of-date and extraneous to "knowledge".

As I see it it is not like anyone is trying to contraband or boot-leg something, the Author either has the Rights to distribute this paper or he/she has not.

If he/she has these rights, he may well decide to do this hush-hush distribution, but he/she may well also wish to keep this private from the start.

What happened here is called "teasing", specifically "intellectual teasing", not really a new thing as it was invented more than 400 years ago:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...st_Theorem

Some may find this fun, I personally do not.

As well as Gabrielle (and her boyfriend) are absolutely free to ask for personal e-mails in order to send privately the paper, I feel free to express my opinion on how soliciting other people's private e-mails in a forum is inappropriate, as well that the decision to treat knowledge as something to be withheld within a "sancta sanctorum" is anachronistic, and ultimately contrary to the actual scope of a technical board or "Discussion Forum" such as this one, which is (or should be) all about exchanging knowledge and ideas publicly (which means having at the same time those ideas/knowledge "circulated" and exposed to critics, that more often than not are "constructive").

It's time to invoke Dukhat:
homepage.ntlworld.com....hness.html

jaclaz

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Nov 20, 12 23:27

Jaclaz,

We seem to have interpreted the post in question very differently. I interpreted it as a genuine offer to facilitate information sharing from a junior member whereas you appear to have detected a Dan Brown novel. In any event, my point was not that foolish actions should not be brought to someone's attention, simply that certain types of responses, unless phrased very tactfully, run the risk of appearing condescending and are likely to inhibit information sharing in future. A quick PM may be a better approach in cases like this.

Jamie  

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Nov 20, 12 23:30

@jhup - completely agree, those prices are (and have been for a long time) shocking.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Nov 21, 12 01:13

- jamie
Jaclaz,

We seem to have interpreted the post in question very differently. I interpreted it as a genuine offer to facilitate information sharing from a junior member whereas you appear to have detected a Dan Brown novel.

No, no Dan Brown novel detected.
I am perfectly sure that gmlw0908 is in absolute good faith and she is making this offer with all the best intentions possible +1 more Smile .

I commented on the particular way she decided to formulate her nice offer, stating how I personally find it fundamentally a "wrong" approach, nothing more, nothing less.

I doubt that the above will (or may) "inhibit information sharing in future", and as a matter of fact the idea was to promote such public sharing.

- jamie
A quick PM may be a better approach in cases like this.

I am sorry if I hurted the sensibility of anyone, but the suggested PM way is - still IMHO - another form of "politically correct" nonsense, we are on a public forum, things should be discussed publicly, we all are grown-ups, we can talk about matters.

jaclaz

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Nov 21, 12 01:53

I disagree but that's fine, we don't have to see eye to eye on everything. The only thing I ask you to accept is that it's my role (as moderator) to set what I think is an acceptable tone. I don't often intervene or comment, but when I do, I assure you it's not without good reason.

Now, if we can, let's return to the original subject matter. Thanks.

Jamie  

Page 7 of 7
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7