±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35390
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 151

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Chip Off - Ace Laboratory - Russia

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

TheSiv

Chip Off - Ace Laboratory - Russia

Post Posted: Nov 07, 13 11:05

I was wondering if anyone has undertaken any traning courses with Ace Laboratory in Russia?

If so, what's your opinion?

I have completed the Chip Removal course with Kev Mansell (Control-F), but this does not cover the software (PC-3000 or SalvationData) to interpret the data. Especially when manually inputting Flash devices.

I know they have a sister company in Canada (DeepSpar); I'm not sure whether anyone has been there either? Question  

ThePM

Re: Chip Off - Ace Laboratory - Russia

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 16:27

What kind of class are you looking for?

I got trained by DeepSpar, so I might be able to answer some of your questions.  

Igor_Michailov

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 16:48

- TheSiv
I was wondering if anyone has undertaken any traning courses with Ace Laboratory in Russia?

It is very well. Wink

- TheSiv

I know they have a sister company in Canada (DeepSpar); I'm not sure whether anyone has been there either? Question

ACE LAb hasn't got sister company in Canada.

linkedin.com/in/igormikhaylovcf 

jaclaz

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 19:01

- Igor_Michailov

ACE LAb hasn't got sister company in Canada.

Well, let's call them "resellers":
www.deepspar.com/produ...rview.html
PC-3000 for Windows UDMA
by ACE Laboratory Russia
A set of industrial-strength tools developed by ACE Laboratory Russia and brought to you by DeepSpar. Diagnose and fix drive-level firmware failures, as well as some electronic issues, for almost any drive. 8 out of 10 medium and large data recovery companies use PC-3000. More...
Phase II: Disk Imaging

DeepSpar Disk Imager
This product, developed by DeepSpar Data Recovery Systems, is the first dedicated hard drive imaging device built specifically for data recovery, to handle disk-level problems. Dramatically improve imaging speed, accuracy, and integrity of retrieved data with DeepSpar Disk Imager.

Get more data with less risk. More...
Phase III: Data Retrieval

PC-3000 Data Extractor
by ACE Laboratory Russia
A software add-on to the PC-3000 system developed by ACE Laboratory Russia and brought to you by DeepSpar. PC-3000 Data Extractor diagnoses and fixes file system issues so you can get to your client's data. More...

jaclaz

ThePM

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 19:25

Deepspar don't resell PC-3000 products anymore. Which sucks a lot, because now we must go through AceLab directly for PC-3000 license renewals and they don't accept credit cards... Confused

So, I'm running a version that is dating from 2012 because I can't renew the license. Our agency cannot purchase stuff with Western Union or bank transfers.

I'm really looking forward to them using current-gen payment methods.  

TheSiv

Post Posted: Nov 15, 13 09:43

I've been working for Governmental Cyber Crime Centre since 2003 and have attended a plethora of forensic computing courses World Wide... Apart from any in Russia.

I have been trained in Salvation Data HDD repair and the use of Deep Spar.

I am now conducting Chip Off examinations of Mobile Devices and Flash (USB) Memory. The problem I have is not knowing how to use the software to PC-3000 Flash Edition software to manually decode flash memory.

I can't find supporting documentation to even explain the .SOL files.

I have an 8GB Flash Chip that I have managed to get a succesful read... But I can't get it to reconstitute and work!!!

Help?  

jhup

Post Posted: Nov 15, 13 15:20

Do not underestimate the Russians, Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese when it comes to hard core chip-off work. I watched third-world lab worker reball a micro-FCBGA with a $2 soldering iron, like as if he was just making a salami sandwich. The result was better looking than something off of a $10K reflow workstation!

When I image chips I verify that it is not encrypted, resolve XOR, resolve object order, locate artifacts, finally eliminate extraneous data.

Presuming the data is not encrypted - because then you are up the creek.

Figure the XOR out, if XORed - many flash storage devices use XOR to decorrelate the data. Tedious but doable.

It is necessary to play around with chips/blocks/planes/pages (objects) to figure out the layout.

Presuming you already ran the data through with the right XOR value, locate file system artifacts to identify the file system. for example, FAT32 or NTFS have very distinct markers. It helps with arranging the objects.

Sometimes it is not FS artifacts but file signatures which help me with boundaries.

Once I have objects in order, the file system type, the rest just falls into place. Get the sector boundaries, eliminate ECC, over-provisioning, etc. what remains is a raw (dd) image.

Have fun.  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next