±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 32585
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 115

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

WiebetechUSB Write blocker and Windows 7

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: WiebetechUSB Write blocker and Windows 7

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 am

- cbrown509
The creation of the disk was under the guidance of a couple of guys working nearby who are far more switched on with Linux then me.

Well, you didn't actually "create" a disk I believe, you anyway "messed up" a few sectors of an existing disk, the physical device or "mass storage device" as described here:
www.cfreds.nist.gov/v2...drive.html

Which EXACT make/model is that disk (physical device)?
Is it 512 bytes/sector or 4096 bytes/sector?

jaclaz

jaclaz

Windows 7.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 am

Nothing to do with how the disk was either created or messed up.
It would appear that v5.5 of the Wiebetech Ultradock does not work consistently with Windows 7.
I have had cases where a suspect's hard drive has failed to image via v5.5 but when it has been tried using the Ultradock v5 it imaged fine, identifying some bad sectors on the drive, and also later on to offer up some crucial evidence.
I have contacted CRU by telephone (emails were ignored) who can offer no fix.
This is merely a shout out to those who are considering buying the Wiebetech Ultradock v5.5,
Upgrading the imaging stations to Windows 10 has proved to be the way forward.  

cbrown509

Re: Windows 7.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 am

- cbrown509
Nothing to do with how the disk was either created or messed up.
It would appear that v5.5 of the Wiebetech Ultradock does not work consistently with Windows 7.
I have had cases where a suspect's hard drive has failed to image via v5.5 but when it has been tried using the Ultradock v5 it imaged fine, identifying some bad sectors on the drive, and also later on to offer up some crucial evidence.
I have contacted CRU by telephone (emails were ignored) who can offer no fix.
This is merely a shout out to those who are considering buying the Wiebetech Ultradock v5.5,
Upgrading the imaging stations to Windows 10 has proved to be the way forward.

I understand that Smile , but I was trying to figure out if there was a definite "pattern", in the mentioned threads it was found that the issues came in some combination of large sectored disks (or however large, 2 tb or more) disks, and/or where GPT is involved, possibly partitioned/formatted under a later OS version than 7.

What I mean is that Windows 7 has been used on a large number of machines for years, and the good Wiebetech guys must have tested the v5.5 with it extensively, and presumably a large number of users have used the OS with that model, so it would be queer that it doesn't behave consistently "at random", there must be some conditions that "trigger" the issue and understanding which these conditions are would have been interesting.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share and Like this forum topic to get more replies

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2