±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 32221
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 150

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

FOR 585 Advanced Smartphone Forensics

Computer forensics training and education issues. If you are looking for topic suggestions for your project, thesis or dissertation please post here rather than the general discussion forum.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: FOR 585 Advanced Smartphone Forensics

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Is this course useful if you have completed a number of courses in phone forensics? I've been through the battery of XRY training (Advanced Acquisitions and Advanced Apps Analysis as well as their foundational level courses).  

the_Grinch

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:36 am

- the_Grinch
Is this course useful if you have completed a number of courses in phone forensics? I've been through the battery of XRY training (Advanced Acquisitions and Advanced Apps Analysis as well as their foundational level courses).

Most of their courses are VERY hands on and not product specific. If you do not know how things work on a basic level outside a vendors point and click program, you may find it hard to keep up.  

MDCR

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 am

- the_Grinch

Absolutely! But it depends on who is teaching it too I would guess. I took it with Heather (course creator) and she really went into the weeds on how to actually verify the data. That was one of the big things I took away from the entire course: no one tool is perfect and you'll most likely get some wonky results from time to time. Having more than one tool to verify your findings is critical.

Be ready to look at hex a lot in this class.  

Randy_Randerson

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:48 am

Excellent, might try to get work to spring for the course then. My vendor specific training covered the use of their tool, but also dove into hex, python, and app analysis in the event we ran into apps they did not support, but needed information from. My background is in cybersecurity so while my forensic knowledge is newer I know my way around hex, coding and the command line. Thanks for the info!  

the_Grinch

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:40 am

- Randy_Randerson
I have taken the course and also hold the GASF cert that goes along with it.
Good luck!

How would I go about to get the GASF, I would like to get the GASF as you did, do I just study the material I receive after the course then apply near a vendor of mines that provides the exam? Do I just study the specific material I receive in the 585 course to be successful in the exam?
And Thanks!

Vesalius

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share and Like this forum topic to get more replies

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2