±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 32774
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 178

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Problem resizing partition

A forum for discussions not related to digital forensics!
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Problem resizing partition

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Outline of my problem:

1. I transferred a 14.4 gb image to my 64 gb sd card. As a result, my computer reads my sd card as a card with a max capacity of 14.4 gb, when it should be 60.46 gb instead.

2. So I used this disk partition tool called Ease US Partition Master. I tried expanding the primary partition of my sd card (the 14.4 gb one) to 60.46 gb

3. Here comes the problem: It gets stuck for minutes at 67% progress when applying the changes and when it reaches about 72-74%, it completely stops and this error occurs:

Does anyone know what's the problem here? My sd card is originally ex-FAT and I converted it into a FAT32 with a cluster size of 32kb if that helps.  

wei123

Re: Problem resizing partition

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 am

- wei123
1. I transferred a 14.4 gb image to my 64 gb sd card. As a result, my computer reads my sd card as a card with a max capacity of 14.4 gb, when it should be 60.46 gb instead.

Me, I'd go back to the starting point, create the target partitions/volumes manually, and then transfer the volume content by whatever method was appropriate.

3. Here comes the problem: It gets stuck for minutes at 67% progress when applying the changes and when it reaches about 72-74%, it completely stops and this error occurs:

Does anyone know what's the problem here? My sd card is originally ex-FAT and I converted it into a FAT32 with a cluster size of 32kb if that helps.

Better believe what the error message says. So ... are your directory entries in good order? Have you tried running chkdsk or similar file system checking utility on the relevant volume?

Apart from that, you're using software from a particular manufacturer. They are probably the experts on how their software behaves -- have you tried their support? Or perhaps checked Windows system logs for more detailed error messages?

From a practical point of view, the error message is useless ...  

athulin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 am

How was the original made?
On which machine, on which media, by which OS, etc., etc.

There could be several reasons why you have the error (including a particular malfunctioning of the specific software you are using), but a athulin stated, one thing is the *need* to make an image (and restore it "as is") but if you are going to "expand" the result, it makes a lot more sense to copy the file/contents.

In any case what you report:
My sd card is originally ex-FAT and I converted it into a FAT32 with a cluster size of 32kb if that helps.

simply doesn't sound right, if you restored to it a whole image, whatever was there before is gone.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 pm

There is no way you can copy a 14.4GB file to FAT32 volume. The max single file size is 4GB or 2GB.

You probably have restored the 14.4GB image to the SD card. In this sense, you created a exact duplicate of the original, you shouldnt be changing the partition size of the SD card.  

mansiu

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 am

- mansiu
There is no way you can copy a 14.4GB file to FAT32 volume. The max single file size is 4GB or 2GB.

You probably have restored the 14.4GB image to the SD card. In this sense, you created a exact duplicate of the original, you shouldnt be changing the partition size of the SD card.

Sure Smile , but the OP correctly said he "transferred the image", NOT "copied the file".

And of course he is (or should be free) to re-enlarge the partition from the current 14.4 Gb to the entire extents of the SD card.

The limit of FAT32 file size is exactly 2^32-1=4,294,967,295 bytes, just for the record.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Page 1 of 1