±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 34489
New Yesterday: 5 Visitors: 216

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

SM-920C Thumbnail Image file

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

SM-920C Thumbnail Image file

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:12 am

I am working on a Samsung SM-N920C device that I was able to collect data from the phone using Cellebrite (Physical Extraction).

I am trying to investigate some pictures, which are in thumbnails. The pictures are not available elsewhere?

The pictures locations are "Media/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/1512492855362.jpg"

I need to know from where this pictures came from?

The picture is taken by Camera or not? No metadata is available, Second can we define any relationship between original picture and thumbnail picture?

i means is there any chance to get original picture name and timestamp.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the picture and its location?  

Arbab

Re: SM-920C Thumbnail Image file

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:34 am

I'll try to help

Path
Media/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/1512492855362.jpg

1) Media/0/DCIM

This is the default storage area for images taken by the device camera.

2)Media/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/

Once an image taken by the camera is taken and is stored in the default location the Android OS creates a Thumbnail of the image in the above path (Media/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/)

The thumbnail is given a UNIX epoch time stamp (milliseconds) name

as in 1512492855362.jpg

This converts to 05/12/2017, 16:54:15 GMT

If the original images has been deleted or moved the thumbnail will remain in the thumbnail folder(Media/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/)

However without the original Image this is a very basic interpretation of the remaining data

Kind regards

Paul  

pcook8198

Re: SM-920C Thumbnail Image file

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:53 pm

You original file was deleted, renamed or moved. Do it the other way around, carve for all images, even if partial, then do a match on the time stamps to figure the original file. I would also check the content of any memory cards used in the device, if available Smile
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

passcodeunlock

Page 1 of 1