±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35000
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 185

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Digital Forensic Kit Wish List

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Digital Forensic Kit Wish List

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:35 am

I'm looking for hardware recommendations (the best of the best) for a digital forensic kit wish list. Ideally, I'd like to have a comprehensive setup that'll enable me to work with any make or model device or media that I may encounter. It would be a bonus to be able to use this equipment for the office as well as field work. Make, model and specs would be very helpful.  

ForN6

Re: Digital Forensic Kit Wish List

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 am

- ForN6
Ideally, I'd like to have a comprehensive setup that'll enable me to work with any make or model device or media that I may encounter. It would be a bonus to be able to use this equipment for the office as well as field work.

... and if it could also make coffee (black, strong, one sugar cube only, thanks) would be an added bonus ...

More seriously, I don' t think that anyone can provide such an extensive list of equipment, "good for anything and everything", and - besides that - apart the most basic tools, there is the need of training and qualification to use some of the hardware, particularly tools used in JTAG or chip-off.

Usually a "forensic kit" is assembled or put together by the user him/herself, along the experience he/she is gathering with actual *needs*, it would probably make little sense to have a load of tools that you cannot use or won't need to use.

Your request is not entirely unlike some that were made in the past:
www.forensicfocus.com/...c/t=10086/
where the consensus was that it doesn't exist a "good for all" list ...

And some comments on this (seemingly unrelated) thread:
www.forensicfocus.com/...c/t=11186/
may urge you to put a "budget cap" on the request ...

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:00 am

Thank you jaclaz! You’ve already helped me more than you know.  

ForN6

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:49 pm

A good reference is the FRED forensic machines.
Look at that and then build one yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:19 am

Black Swan Digital Forensics has a remote extraction machine that is very portable and will extract phones, tablets and computers, plus does spyware and vulnerability assessments

It will do a cell phone full extraction in about an hour

Hope this helps

Richard  

richardmemphis

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 pm

And your affiliation to them is?

- richardmemphis
Black Swan Digital Forensics has a remote extraction machine that is very portable and will extract phones, tablets and computers, plus does spyware and vulnerability assessments

It will do a cell phone full extraction in about an hour

Hope this helps

Richard

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Page 1 of 1