±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35407
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 128

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

UK-Are there rules for dealing with unrelated personal info?

Discussion of legislation relating to computer forensics.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

jaclaz

Re: UK-Are there rules for dealing with unrelated personal i

Post Posted: Jan 03, 19 15:09

- trewmte

Good point jaclaz and, yes, that could in theory be entirely possible. I haven't come across it, but this cannot be ruled out. Corps do have specific protocols in place to avoid internal (incl. of personnel) contamination being covered up.

Yep, strangely it is similar in some way in the (IMHO totally wrong) way cases of some (say) sexual violence/harassment offences are seemingly treated in some US campuses where the matter is investigated first by the internal security before the Police is called.

This specific case of threats/stalking (though more "virtual") is still a "criminal offence", so the victim should call the Police first thing, no but's, no if's, no "corps policies".

Even if the "internal security" handles the device/whatever with the uttermost care and with professional skills, I don't think that it is appropriate to have the device being in the hands of a non-sworn-LEO (but with the same or similar technical abilities) for any amount of time.

There could be contamination/alterations made either:
1) intentionally, following some company/manager dictated procedures or direct orders (even if off the file)
2) accidentally. looking for some info on the device
3) a mix of the two above

jaclaz

trewmte

Post Posted: Jan 03, 19 16:16

- jaclaz
- trewmte

Good point jaclaz and, yes, that could in theory be entirely possible. I haven't come across it, but this cannot be ruled out. Corps do have specific protocols in place to avoid internal (incl. of personnel) contamination being covered up.

Yep, strangely it is similar in some way in the (IMHO totally wrong) way cases of some (say) sexual violence/harassment offences are seemingly treated in some US campuses where the matter is investigated first by the internal security before the Police is called.

This specific case of threats/stalking (though more "virtual") is still a "criminal offence", so the victim should call the Police first thing, no but's, no if's, no "corps policies".

Even if the "internal security" handles the device/whatever with the uttermost care and with professional skills, I don't think that it is appropriate to have the device being in the hands of a non-sworn-LEO (but with the same or similar technical abilities) for any amount of time.

There could be contamination/alterations made either:
1) intentionally, following some company/manager dictated procedures or direct orders (even if off the file)
2) accidentally. looking for some info on the device
3) a mix of the two above

jaclaz

Assuming of course Corp people do not know the difference between right and wrong?
Claims can be raised internally to deal with a range of issue. Depending upon the stage of progression of a matter of course.
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jan 04, 19 09:20

- trewmte

Assuming of course Corp people do not know the difference between right and wrong?
Claims can be raised internally to deal with a range of issue. Depending upon the stage of progression of a matter of course.

Actually assuming that Corp people may know the difference between right and wrong BUT that they may be in a position to not care too much about that (in the case of a possible intentional manipulation) but I was actually more concerned about possible involuntary contaminations.

jaclaz

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2