±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35886
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 139

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

What is ENG ROOT ?

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

arcaine2

Re: What is ENG ROOT ?

Post Posted: Jan 25, 19 19:00

- AdamLawler
Ok so this is not forensically sound method to root the device I guess.

So eng root files should have the info about specific model and his firmware version (build)

Depend on how you view it. Rooting the phone in any way can tamper with data. Eng root or engineering root is just a kernel image (boot), with root access and unauthorized ADB enabled, signed by Samsung so you can flash it with OEM and FRP lock. From my experience, the worst case scenario phone won't fully boot (bootloop) if it doesn't match firmware inside the phone. You can't flash 7.0 kernel on 8.0 device and vice versa. Sometimes an older eng root image works, sometimes, if there were some significant changes done in the newer versions, it doesn't. Restoring stock boot from matching firmware restores the phone to working state. I'm yet to see it wiping the phone.  

AdamLawler

Post Posted: Jan 28, 19 20:46

Thanks for explanation.

One more question Smile
If it is necessary to flash ENG root which is matching to firmware version inside the phone why there is no info about firmware version on the site like this easy-firmware.com/find.../id/7391/. For example there is only this "G955U_ENG_ROOT_7.0.rar".  

arcaine2

Post Posted: Jan 29, 19 22:37

- AdamLawler

If it is necessary to flash ENG root which is matching to firmware version inside the phone why there is no info about firmware version on the site like this easy-firmware.com/find.../id/7391/. For example there is only this "G955U_ENG_ROOT_7.0.rar".

I can only assume that nobody checked or and named archive correctly. If you unpack this boot.img you'll that this is FA70_G955USQU1AQD8, so that's binary 1. It would only work with binary 1 phone in the first place. G955U switched to binary 2 in October 2017, even for 7.0 based firmware so this one wouldn't flash anyway on binary 2 phone.

On the other hand, i assume you saw that file on easy-firmware.com. I checked what's inside SM-G955F_ENG_ROOT.rar. When you unpack it, it's 7.0 which is not mentioned in file name, then G955FXXU1AQCC - so this could possibly work on all 7.0 released for G955F as all of them were binary 1. If you look closely you'll also notice "ro.build.display.id=ChoiMobile.VN.Root.G955FXXU1AQCC", and ChoiMobile seems to be some Vietnamese forum, unlikely to have valid keys to sign the image. There seems to be SuperSU added, no insecure adb enabled etc, so file is likely fake and won't flash on FRP and OEM locked device.  

JGilmour

Post Posted: Feb 07, 19 12:38

Best site I've found for these files is shell.boxwares.com  

arcaine2

Post Posted: Feb 07, 19 18:58

@JGilmour, actually, i don't see a lot, if any, eng root files there, even for models for which it's known that such files exist in public. Eng boot or eng sboot is a different thing. There are couple websites like this, just looking a bit different but with same or very similar content.  

AdamLawler

Post Posted: Feb 07, 19 20:14

Thanks arcaine. Could you be so kind and tell me what is that binary 1, binary 2 etc.
Whats the difference between them ?  

arcaine2

Post Posted: Feb 07, 19 22:03

- AdamLawler
Could you be so kind and tell me what is that binary 1, binary 2 etc.
Whats the difference between them ?

I guess you could call it a bootloader version for each phone. If, for any reason, Samsung updates it to higher revision, you can't use firmware with earlier version. It could be their way to prevent bricking the phone by customers flashing older firmware.  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2