±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36228
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 173

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Data recovery

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

north

Data recovery

Post Posted: Mar 04, 19 08:43

Can data be recovered from disk made from multi wipe?  

jaclaz

Re: Data recovery

Post Posted: Mar 04, 19 09:53

- north

No.

You may then ask:
Can data be recovered from disk made from single wipe?
And the answer in this case is STILL No.

jaclaz

north

Post Posted: Mar 04, 19 11:07

- jaclaz
- north

No.

You may then ask:
Can data be recovered from disk made from single wipe?
And the answer in this case is STILL No.

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz  

Bolo

Post Posted: Mar 04, 19 19:43

It's very interesting opinion and if I understand wipe as a format I can prove you are wrong....

Test: You can take lets say 8 Gb SD, microSD, CF Card or even phone (not encrypted ofcourse), then record on it sample photos (lets say 1000 photos to fill it full) then make Wipe on it (format / factory reset). Then you can read this card physically by any tools as FTK / RAW Copy to be sure that you will get all 00 00 inside dump. After you are sure all are 00 00 you can send to me this card and we can recover almost 90-95% photos (data) from it ......

JaredDM

Post Posted: Mar 04, 19 21:58

- Bolo
It's very interesting opinion and if I understand wipe as a format I can prove you are wrong....

Test: You can take lets say 8 Gb SD, microSD, CF Card or even phone (not encrypted ofcourse), then record on it sample photos (lets say 1000 photos to fill it full) then make Wipe on it (format / factory reset). Then you can read this card physically by any tools as FTK / RAW Copy to be sure that you will get all 00 00 inside dump. After you are sure all are 00 00 you can send to me this card and we can recover almost 90-95% photos (data) from it ......

It's beginning to smell a lot like bull sh...

I don't doubt a few sectors can be read due to NAND wear leveling and the likes. Full pictures....highly unlikely. 90-95%....you're utterly lying through your teeth. And don't pretend you've got some "special hardware" no one else has. I own half the stuff you sell on your site and many other professional flash recovery systems.

Do you really think lies like this will make people respect you? You're just making yourself look dumb.

watcher

Post Posted: Mar 05, 19 00:52

- Bolo

I think you are confusing terminology? (format / factory reset) is not a wipe. A wipe means overwrite!  

misharajpoot

Post Posted: Mar 05, 19 04:58

I believe when you say WIPE you mean overwriting the whole drive using tools like DBAN and something like that? Wiped hard drives cannot be recovered, not with customer level software. Even with advance forensic data recovery tools, it is not likely to recover full data from wiped hard drives.

Just in case we understand differently about WIPE, I’ll talk about something else.

Degaussing HDD: Eliminates magnetic field. Resets magnetic domains to 0. Not likely to recover data.

Wiping with a magnet: Depends on how strong the magnet is. Probably recoverable.

Full formatting: similar to wiping. Data got overwritten. Not recoverable.

Quick formatting (the normal formatting): only resets the file system. Data are intact before you begin to write things on the drive. You can easily recover data from quick format with a 3rd party tool like Hdata Recovery  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next