±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36312
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 160

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

M.2 drives and CRU Forensic Ultradock v5

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

jaclaz

Re: M.2 drives and CRU Forensic Ultradock v5

Post Posted: Sep 04, 19 13:07

- fraudit
Well, it didn't...

Sure it didn't.

Confusing as it might be the whole stuff, the description of that DeLock is clear enough:
www.delock.de/produkte...anguage=en

surely they might have highlighted the or:

The converter can be installed into your system internally through the SATA 22 pin interface while using a SATA M.2 SSD, or via the SFF-8643 interface while using a PCIe M.2 SSD.

SF-8643 is yet another "standard", mini-SAS:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ached_SCSI

jaclaz

fraudit

Post Posted: Sep 04, 19 13:14

Which as I understand means that I can connect either a regular mSATA drive via SATA cable or M.2 drive via the PCI cable, is that correct?  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 04, 19 15:17

- fraudit
Which as I understand means that I can connect either a regular mSATA drive via SATA cable or M.2 drive via the PCI cable, is that correct?

Not really.
I have no idea of what you mean by PCI cable, they don't exist AFAIK, unless you mean a PCiE "riser" cable *like*:
www.newegg.com/p/N82E1...-_-Product

M.2 is a form factor.
mSATA is another form factor.
See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

SATA is a protocol/interface.
PCI and PCiE (or NVME) are protocols/interfaces.

A SATA (protocol) SSD can have different form factors/connectors, among them there is the M.2 or NGFF.

A PCI or PciE (or NVME) SSD can have different form factors/connectors, among them there is the M.2 or NGFF.

So you can have BOTH
1) a SATA SSD M.2
AND
2) a PCI or PciE (NVME) SSD M.2
(and both will be - and here lays the worst instance of stupidity - be in the form of a M.2 keyed M) and if you remove (or ignore) the make/model/part number there is no way to distinguish the SATA one from the PciE one.

So, both will fit in a M.2 M keyed socket, BUT the first one still "speaks SATA" and the second still "speaks PciE".

Take this particular adapter as reference/example:
www.addonics.com/produ...5m2msa.php

this one allows to connect to a SATA bus either a mSATA or M.2 SATA SSD to a "normal" SATA cable (everything speaks SATA).

Now compare with this one:
www.addonics.com/produ...nvmpx4.php

this one allows to connect one PCI or NVME M.2 SSD to a PCiE bus (everything speaks PCI/PCiE/NVME)

And finally compare with this one:
www.addonics.com/produ...2s-px4.php

this one allows connecting on one side 1 PCI or NVME M.2 SSD to a PCiE bus (everything speaks PCI/PCiE/NVME on this side) AND 1 or 2 SATA M.2 SSD to 2 "normal" SATA cables (everything speaks SATA on this other side).

It is "madness", I know.

jaclaz

fraudit

Post Posted: Sep 04, 19 15:20

Understood, thank you!

So do you think if I get this one (https://www.addonics.com/products/ad25m2msa.php), will I be able to access the M.2 drive via the given blocker? Will the adapter manage to do all the translation for me? I understand Delock's one I have simply cannot translate one interface commands to another and hence my failure.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 04, 19 15:58

- fraudit
Understood, thank you!

You are very welcome Smile , but you didn't actually understand Sad , judging from this question:

- fraudit

So do you think if I get this one (https://www.addonics.com/products/ad25m2msa.php), will I be able to access the M.2 drive via the given blocker? Will the adapter manage to do all the translation for me? I understand Delock's one I have simply cannot translate one interface commands to another and hence my failure.

There is NO such thing as a M.2 drive!

There can be a SATA drive with M.2 form factor OR a PCI/PCiE/NVME drive with M.2 form factor, and they use different protocols/interface.

Now, be nice, go to that page:
www.addonics.com/produ...5m2msa.php
and search on it (in "overview" and in the other tabs) the words:
PCI
PCiE
NVME

IF the thing was compatible with NVME, don't you think that the good Addonics guys would have mentioned it?

See if this article clears the matter:
www.velocitymicro.com/...ifference/

You see, there is no possible use (outside forensics) of a converter/bridge to connect an extremely fast device (a NVME SSD) to a much slower (internal) bus and controller (such as SATA), so it is not so casual that such bridges/converters are not available as "generic hardware", what is "queer" is that all the forensic stuff manufacturers also seemingly don't have this kind of adapters.

jaclaz

fraudit

Post Posted: Sep 06, 19 09:33

Ufff, many thanks for the detailed explanation, jaclaz, I really appreciate it!

I believe now I've got it. Clearly next time I will do my best to find matching controllers / standards.

This time I went short and simply got a M.2 USB case and connected it to my USB blocker Wink  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 06, 19 12:39

- fraudit
Ufff, many thanks for the detailed explanation, jaclaz, I really appreciate it!

I believe now I've got it. Clearly next time I will do my best to find matching controllers / standards.

This time I went short and simply got a M.2 USB case and connected it to my USB blocker Wink

Yep, you are welcome, and I think that was actually the ONLY thing you could do.

Makers of forensic tools might decide to create this (hypothetical) NVME to SATA converter (something they could sell for 100-150 US$, maybe 200) and let you use your existing write blocker or - more likely IMHO - create a brand new tool, a NVME (or PCiE) write blocker (that they could probably sell for a few thousands dollars).

jaclaz

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next