±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35868
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 158

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

CCLEANER´s erasing accuracy compared to other softwares?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 

williamsonn

Re: CCLEANER´s erasing accuracy compared to other softwares

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 01:39

obviously not: jaclaz, you know I am not expert.

On the other hand, if after full format and overwriting a disk, files still can be recovered with other known techniques, this, then is not what I believed yo have understand from your and other´s answers here(perhaps a misunderstanding of me), as I thought that a single pass overwritting would make all data not retrievavle.  

williamsonn

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 01:44

- TuckerHST
It's a question of semantics. Without context, there's no way of knowing if we're talking about wiping specific files, free space, or the entire drive.

I am referring to the entire disk after doing a windows, not quick, format.  

williamsonn

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 01:45

and of course, a ccleaner overwriting.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 02:34

- williamsonn
and of course, a ccleaner overwriting.

CCleaner does not have the disk as "object" or "target" AFAIK.
Definitely Recuva has a volume or fileasystem as "target".
Here lies the issue in "semantics" or "terminology".

Until you describe EXACTLY, in the UTTERMOST detail, what you want to do, what you tried to do, what you expecetd to happen, etc., see:
homepage.ntlworld.com....itany.html

Right now not only you are failing to provide these data, but you also avoid answering EXACTLY to the asked questions.
I will try again:

Overwritten WHAT with WHICH tools and HOW exactly?

JFYI, "windows" is meaningless, the effect of the FORMAT command (which BTW stiill has the volume or filesystem and NOT the disk as "object") is DIFFERENT in DIFFERENT versions of Windows, DETAILS are important.

jaclaz

williamsonn

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 02:54

jaclaz: I will try to be more precise.

I take an old external hdd, connect it through USB to a main computer, Windows Vista or Seven.

It appears as "E" drive. then first I make a Windows format: clicking with mouse´s right button on the drive, unmarking "quick format" option. Then I wait for the format is made.

When finished, I run ccleaner,tools, drive wipper, then I select wipe entire disk(there is other option which is "wipe free space"). This option is performed with 1, 3, 7 ....passes. Select, for example 1 pass, and wait for 1, 2, 3 hours...depending on the HDD size. An so on...  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 03:07

- williamsonn
jaclaz: I will try to be more precise.

I take an old external hdd, connect it through USB to a main computer, Windows Vista or Seven.

It appears as "E" drive. then first I make a Windows format: clicking with mouse´s right button on the drive, unmarking "quick format" option. Then I wait for the format is made.

When finished, I run ccleaner,tools, drive wipper, then I select wipe entire disk(there is other option which is "wipe free space"). This option is performed with 1, 3, 7 ....passes. Select, for example 1 pass, and wait for 1, 2, 3 hours...depending on the HDD size. An so on...

As expected, if you select a drive letter the object is a drive (or volume or filesystem or partition if primary) AND NOT the disk.

Until you don't research and learn the difference between a drive (the thing to which a drive letter is assigned) and the disk (the whole thing that may contain several drives, hidden sectors, hidden partitions, unindexed space, HPA's and DCO's) we will be talking different languages.

jaclaz

TuckerHST

Post Posted: Feb 10, 13 03:36

diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk #
clean all
exit

Page 3 of 5
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next