±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36317
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 185

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Remote wipe of Mac Airbook

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

mscotgrove

Re: Remote wipe of Mac Airbook

Post Posted: Mar 14, 13 21:05

An update.

I did examine the customer laptop and found data. The following link is a brief report

www.cnwrecovery.com/ht..._wipe.html

What I found is very similar to the report (press release) that posted earlier. The big difference is that I have no clean rooms to help make Linux disk images. If you had to buy a licence for carving software, you might still have $1600 in your pocket.

The big similarity is that both drives (250GB) had the same 64GB erased, and rest was OK.

It looks as if the remote wiping is not very secure and should not be relied on. Does anyone else have experience to confirm my results?

Bulldawg

Re: Remote wipe of Mac Airbook

Post Posted: Mar 14, 13 21:14

Thanks for the update. That is very interesting. It's probable that the first 64GB contained mostly the operating system and pre-installed programs, so this process left most of the user's files exposed.  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2