±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36317
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 130

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Chip off or JTAG

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

Chip off or JTAG, which would you choose?

30%

69%

Total Votes: 23

ddewildt

Re: Chip off or JTAG

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 17:04

[quote="4Rensics"]
If I can find the slides from the conference I will put them up for download.

Which, it goes without saying, you would only do once you get permission from both F3 and Dan (the presenter) at RCMP.

I think the point of the talk was to say to people that its not just a case of whipping off the chip, connecting it up and away you go with the data. You need to know what you are doing. The reason they use all that equipment is so that they make sure they are not damaging things as they go along.

I have no experience in either area, but the thing I took away from the presentation was that you need to make sure whoever is doing it knows the potential damage they can cause.  

DCS1094

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 17:38

I think the point of the talk was to say to people that its not just a case of whipping off the chip, connecting it up and away you go with the data. You need to know what you are doing. The reason they use all that equipment is so that they make sure they are not damaging things as they go along.

I have no experience in either area, but the thing I took away from the presentation was that you need to make sure whoever is doing it knows the potential damage they can cause.

Hit the nail on the head!

It's not as simple as it looks and a lot of things can go wrong, but if done correctly the results can be well worth it. There's many different setups/rework stations and additional equipment (such as auxiliary camera's etc) which cater for different situations with different devices. Always best to do a lot of testing/research first before you invest, to find the methods which suite your needs.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Nov 11, 13 19:01

- DCS1094

It's not as simple as it looks and a lot of things can go wrong, but if done correctly the results can be well worth it. There's many different setups/rework stations and additional equipment (such as auxiliary camera's etc) which cater for different situations with different devices.

Still, I would like to see a simple list that sums up to 200 K pounds.
(it is still - in my simplicity - an awful lot of money)

jaclaz

DCS1094

Post Posted: Nov 12, 13 14:26

- jaclaz
Still, I would like to see a simple list that sums up to 200 K pounds.
(it is still - in my simplicity - an awful lot of money)

jaclaz

I do agree it is a lot...

I'm not aware of all LE tools, but i know a couple of programmers which cost 75k. They must have a large demand for chips offs for high profile cases and maybe they have been told they have to be able to cater for an event on quick turnarounds; whether that means them obtaining a large range of equipment (different rework stations, programmers, adapters, extractor fans, software) out there and so on etc... so its ready at their disposal without them having to later on try to get hold of it?

Either way it would be interesting seeing their facility and setup! (i wish) Wink  

4Rensics

Post Posted: Nov 12, 13 14:58

Sorry, no slides. F3 or the corresponding speakers do sometimes make them available, but no such luck. Unfortunately you will have to take my word for it.

I have been tasked with pricing these up, so I think I'm going to focus on the JTAG side for now and hunt down some costings for this in the UK.  

sideshow018

Post Posted: Jan 19, 14 12:36

When working on phones, one should follow Sam Brother's pyramid and work from the bottom up, the least destructive first. So to answer the first question, JTAG first and then Chipoff for a number of reasons:

Chipoff is destructive to the device, no going back unless you are an uber guru in chip rework processes, not impossible, but very hard to do.

JTAG is cost effective, you can put together a very decent kit for 1500.00 to 2000.00 USD.

JTAG is a nice progression to the Chipoff process.

Chipoff costs are higher, much higher, but if you think that you have to have hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment to do this process effectively, you are mistaken. The three letter agencies will spend that kind of money as they have it, us little police agencies don't, so we work with what we can get.

Our Chipoff's are done with about 10,000.00 dollars of equipment and we are getting the same results as the three letter agencies.

The agencies that can afford it will use the NFI's programmer that runs at about 90,000.00 USD or the Dataio programmer that runs about 25,000.00 USD (+more for the adapters $$$$$). For our purposes, we use the UP828 programmer and adapters. They read the chips just as good as the big guns and they focus on the chips that we find on Mobile Phones. This kit runs about 2,500.00 and then when you buy a number of adapters, you can get up into the 6,000.00 to 8,000.00 depending on what kind of device you are coming across.

With mobile phones moving towards the eMMC memory chips, we are now using a kit called eMMC SD Burn in Socket to read the chip without a programmer. The chip rests in the socket and you place the board in a write blocked SD card reader and image just like computer. This runs about 1200.00 for 1st generation set and 2,200.00USD for the newer 2nd generation set.

In our training, where the UP828, C-Ming, Dataio and Xeltek programmers have failed to read an eMMC chip, these eMMC SD adapters have been successful, great product.

For both the JTAG and Chipoff processes, you will need a cell phone repair kit (a good one with all the tools you will needs runs about 1100.00) and workspace, keep that in mind when it comes to applying for money.

For both processes, make sure you take some training first. Why go through all the troubleshooting yourself, why not take a course where the training entity has done all the hard work for you and show you how to do it properly. There are training companies in the UK, NFI has a program for LEO and in Canada and the USA (coming overseas soon) there is Teel Tech Training.

Cheers!  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jan 19, 14 17:16

- sideshow018

For both the JTAG and Chipoff processes, you will need a cell phone repair kit (a good one with all the tools you will needs runs about 1100.00) and workspace, keep that in mind when it comes to applying for money.

Still being (extremely) cheap Shocked , can you post a link to an example of these "cell phone repair kits" (one that runs for around 1K bucks)?
(to understand what is in one of them Question )

jaclaz

Page 2 of 4
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next