±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 36303
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 155

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Newbie requesting advice

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 

bgrundy

Re: Newbie requesting advice

Post Posted: Nov 06, 06 18:30

- KPryor
I figure using Slackware is going to be an eye opener
KP

Slackware is a solid choice for an installed distro, especailly for "getting started". If you are going to tackle learning linux from the ground up using Slack, then I would strongly suggest reading through the Slackbook, and keeping it handy as a reference.

Although Slack 11 is out, and this guide is current for 10.x, it's still relevant. The architecture of Slack is something you really need to know (init scripts, services, package management, etc.).

Barry  

KPryor

Post Posted: Nov 06, 06 21:22

Thanks for the link and for sending me your updated pdf, Barry. I appreciate all the help. I like how your manual is written. Helps a noob like me get on the right track.

I got Slackware installed on one of my computers now and it's running very well. I can see already I'm going to need the Slackbook quite a bit Wink

Also, thanks az_gcfa. Got a copy of Helix and printed out the pdf manual you linked to. Looks like I've got a lot of studying to do between Slackware and Helix. Looking forward to it, though. This is all very enjoyable and I'm finding I really like doing even routine things in Linux so far.
KP  

azrael

Post Posted: Nov 29, 06 19:55

Sorry, I know that I'm a little late on this thread ...

I happen to know that there will be a new edition of the Sammes Jenkins book "A Practicioners Guide" in the very near future - you might want to wait a bit for this ...

Cheers,

Azrael  

Page 4 of 4
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4