±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36324
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 248

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Another newbie

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

Rave

Another newbie

Post Posted: Oct 24, 06 21:18

Hi everyone
I just started doing a degree in Applied Science and Forensic Investigation. I have an interest in Computer forensics, but I don't really know where to start. I'm thinking of changing my course if my interest grows, but I want to read more on it. Are there any good books which anyone can recommend as I don't really know where to start. I know File System Forensic Analysis is supposed to be a good read to start off with. But are there any other books that can help me?

Thanx
Rave  

KPryor

Re: Another newbie

Post Posted: Oct 24, 06 23:29

Welcome from another newbie! The book recommended to me on my recent arrival and which I will recommend to you is Forensic Computing: A Practitioner's Guide, by Tony Sammes and Brian Jenkinson. You can find it HERE
KP  

debaser_

Post Posted: Oct 24, 06 23:39

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Oct 25, 06 03:36

FSFA is certainly good but might be a little overly technical/dry as a first read if you're coming from a non-computing background. I agree with the two choices suggested by KP and debaser_ and would probably recommend the Casey book first and then the practitioner's guide if your appetite is suitably whetted.

Jamie  

debaser_

Post Posted: Oct 25, 06 04:23

I own both Casey's book and Brian Carrier's file system forensic analysis. I like Casey's book because it gives a very broad overview of different subjects and is a fairly easy read compared to Carrier's. I like to take a stroll through a topic first and then dig in as i see fit. You will most likely find yourself skipping back and forth between a few books as a topic grabs your attention.  

chague

Post Posted: Oct 25, 06 08:00

I've found Forensic Discovery by Dan Farmer, Wietse Venema a very good read also Chad Steel's Windows Forencis also good read.

Chris  

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 25, 06 17:22

> 've found Forensic Discovery by Dan Farmer, Wietse Venema a very good read

This is a very good read, and there is an excellent section on moving away from the traditional CF approach to obtaining and using live response data as evidence.

> also Chad Steel's Windows Forencis also good read.

It's a good start, and covers some stuff that useful to know for imaging purposes, but doesn't go into nearly the amount of detail you need to do a thorough examination of a Windows system.  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next