±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35399
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 169

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

UK FSR Digital forensics method validation: draft guidance

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3  Next 

dc1743

UK FSR Digital forensics method validation: draft guidance

Post Posted: Oct 28, 14 09:05

I have posted this elsewhere but I think this forums members may be interested in this.

The UK Forensic Science Regulator has issued the linked document for consultation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/digital-forensics-method-validation-draft-guidance

For UK practitioners, big or small, the implications are considerable. If you don't agree with what is proposed you need to respond by the end the month.

FWIW I think UK practitioners are sleep walking into a bureaucratic disaster in the years ahead.

Regards,  

jaclaz

Re: UK FSR Digital forensics method validation: draft guidance

Post Posted: Oct 28, 14 11:46

- dc1743
I have posted this elsewhere but I think this forums members may be interested in this.
The UK Forensic Science Regulator has issued the linked document for consultation.

Very, very interesting. Smile

- dc1743

FWIW I think UK practitioners are sleep walking into a bureaucratic disaster in the years ahead.

Yep :), and IMHO as well all providers of related software and hardware tools will have a rather tough time. Shocked

jaclaz

Jonathan

Re: UK FSR Digital forensics method validation: draft guidan

Post Posted: Oct 28, 14 13:38

Do you know who wrote this paper? It could have really done with the services of a copy editor.

dan0841

Post Posted: Oct 28, 14 19:14

It does appear to be creating an absolute monster. It appears to treat a digital investigation like some sort of process production line in the private sector. Investigations are dynamic and often a wide range of tools and manual techniques are used.

I totally agree with maintaining the absolute highest standards and validating results but this appears to be such a bureaucratic and wasteful way to achieve it.

The vast vast array of tools, o/s, file systems and artefacts makes it all but impossible to blanket test before using tools. Think of the vast array of browser updates, chat program updates, phone apps, o/s changes etc etc. Surely the validation and testing should be done on a case by case basis during the investigation and before evidence is produced?

Either that or have a centralised body to do it as efficiently as possiblly. Even this has problems. Having seen the NIST document comparing 2 particular version of 2 popular mobile phone forensic tools I can appreciate the difficulty and challenge of the task.

To me it feels like the sort of document written by an academic with very little investigation experience.  

ludlowboy

Post Posted: Oct 28, 14 19:40

Not everyone in the same laboratory validates every tool used in that laboratory.

Normally a new tool is validated by one member of staff and and then used by other members of the same team.

Whilst this approach is less demanding of resources it could be made even less demanding if we shared our results between laboratories and individual practitioners.

By making validations available to the the scrutiny of the whole forensic community we would each feel more confident with the results of our own validations.

Would it be possible to post validations on this forum where the work would benefit the whole of the forum / forensic community?

Chris_Ed

Post Posted: Oct 29, 14 07:01

There are so many problems with it that it's difficult to know where to start. But possibly my favourite part is the comparison between computers vs phones. Apparently phones are varied enough that the process can be purposefully vague - but computer analysis has to strictly adhere to procedure. Wonderful!  

dc1743

Post Posted: Oct 29, 14 10:03

- Chris_Ed
There are so many problems with it that it's difficult to know where to start. But possibly my favourite part is the comparison between computers vs phones. Apparently phones are varied enough that the process can be purposefully vague - but computer analysis has to strictly adhere to procedure. Wonderful!

Totally agree with you - but the key thing now is for these observations to be recorded in the response document and sent back to the home office. The deadline is tomorrow.

Best regards,  

Page 1 of 3
Page 1, 2, 3  Next