±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35657
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 154

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Laptop thoughts?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3  Next 

PaulSanderson

Laptop thoughts?

Post Posted: Dec 11, 14 03:03

Looking for a new laptop, will mainly be used for coding and demoing software. Unlikely to be a forensic machine as such and so not running EnCase or the like.

I am thinking i7 and say 6GB+ RAM plus a 750GB hard diks, poss with a boot SSD.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or suggestions for laptops that meet that spec?

Cheers
Paul

Forensic Toolkit for SQLite
sandersonforensics.com...for-SQLite 

BitHead

Re: Laptop thoughts?

Post Posted: Dec 11, 14 09:37

How big of an anvil do you want to carry? Do you want an i7 with a 15.5 or 17" screen and 3.5+ Kg? Or an ultrabook with an i5 and a 15" or smaller screen that is in the under 2 Kg weight class?

For me I prefer light weight, an i5 is plenty even for imaging and a 15" screen is plenty big. The one must have is a back lit keyboard, I never realized it before but now I cannot live without it.  

Patrick4n6

Post Posted: Dec 12, 14 22:52

If you want to limit yourself to something with a single hard drive slot, I would highly recommend getting a hybrid drive. My laptop has a Seagate hybrid drive with 1TB of rotational HDD and 8GB of MLC/NAND and I very much like the performance vs a regular hard drive.

mscotgrove

Post Posted: Dec 12, 14 23:09

I think one of the most important aspects with a laptop is if the screen and keyboard suits you. Performance these days I think is less of an issue.

I recently replaced my 500GB drive for a SSD - faster boot, but not very significant when compiling (mainly VS2010). 6GB is normally OK. Extra data storage, an external 2TB USB drive, or two.

What is really miss when travelling is my Windows 8 with three screens - any solutions to that?.

AlexC

Post Posted: Dec 12, 14 23:15

- mscotgrove

What is really miss when travelling is my Windows 8 with three screens - any solutions to that?.

A laptop with 2 pico projectors...

I can but dream....  

BitHead

Post Posted: Dec 13, 14 08:13

- mscotgrove
Yep.

www.amazon.com/AOC-E16...B005SEZR0G  

ckjo

Post Posted: Dec 13, 14 08:51

Dell Precision M3800 looks to be a decent one. Dual storage + touch screen.  

Page 1 of 3
Page 1, 2, 3  Next