±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36768
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 106

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

is there an opportunity for a scam here?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

Patrick4n6

Re: is there an opportunity for a scam here?

Post Posted: Sep 10, 15 21:36

This scam started off as a cheque scam. They send you a fake cheque for too much for an item, then ask you to send the refund via a more instantaneous method. By the time the cheque bounces, you're out the money. The goods are usually just an excuse for the overpayment. The scammers often get the goods sent to some place they don't even intend collecting from since a physical address might get them caught when they come to collect the goods.

Emails purporting to convey a payment are another scam variation. In that case, you can simply check your own PayPal account to see if the payment hit. The payment scam emails are often used as a way to get your login details for the payment system through a fake PayPal or bank website. I never click on a link in an email unless it's from a trusted source. I always log into my bank or whatever and check it that way.

I'm not saying that what Paul is encountering is not a scam, but I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that it is one. If there's no overpayment, and the goods are being collected by a bona-fide courier company and delivered to a legitimate physical address that you can match to the buyer's name, then I don't see how they would be facilitating a scam.

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 10, 15 23:26

- Patrick4n6

I'm not saying that what Paul is encountering is not a scam, but I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that it is one. If there's no overpayment, and the goods are being collected by a bona-fide courier company and delivered to a legitimate physical address that you can match to the buyer's name, then I don't see how they would be facilitating a scam.

Sure Smile but (still for my tastes) a tad bit too many ifs and ands (that only Paul can know if apply to the specific case).

jaclaz

scar
Forensic Focus

Post Posted: Sep 16, 15 16:28

There is also an option on certain Paypal accounts (i.e. those that have been linked to a confirmed bank account, and fulfilled a couple of other criteria which escape my memory) to have Paypal essentially 'verify' that a purchase has been made without the money actually leaving your account.

It does this automatically on mine. For example, if I do an online shop and choose 'Pay via Paypal', my shopping is delivered and it is marked as 'Paid' on the receipt from the company, but the payment only actually leaves my account around two weeks later.

However, given that Paypal has a "Payment authorised" page, this person could, for example, screenshot that in order to convince you that she has made the payment, or forward you the notification email to say that the money has been paid, and then request that you refund the money when you don't send the item.

To go off on a slight tangent, if you're in SE England and the 'heavy item of furniture' is a sofabed then I'm currently looking for one! Very Happy  

PaulSanderson

Post Posted: Sep 16, 15 16:30

Thanks scar, no I am in the far South West and the item is a Chesterfield/Chaise

Forensic Toolkit for SQLite
sandersonforensics.com...for-SQLite 

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 17, 15 20:39

OT but not much, a new entry is a similar mechanism (retracted payment) used for frauds through Venmo:
www.slate.com/articles...ingle.html

jaclaz

vdhee

Post Posted: Sep 18, 15 14:37

Mr. Sanderson,

Find out what IP address that lady uses.  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2