±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36768
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 100

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i screen unlock ideas ?

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

passcodeunlock

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i screen unlock ideas ?

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 14:49

Updating from microSD is not working, I enter the recovery mode, I can move up and down with the Vol +/-, but the power button for selecting "Update from SD card" is not working. After this process, the phone remains in recovery loop mode, luckly I can flash with Odin the CSC, so it works normally again.

What would be the way to flash the recovery with Odin ? Do you got any link with sample for this older phone model ? Also, I have to be sure that flashing custom recovery would not kill the data of the device.
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

mobileforensicswales

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 16:22

If it is stuck in a boot loop reinstall the original stock recovery ROM

If I remember rightly I think this phone is susceptible to an AT attack.

securityaffairs.co/wor...alaxy.html

With debugging on you could then do what you please but having the default on is only useful if auth isn't required when you try to connect.

Please consider using a test phone first next time :S  

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 17:57

SOLVED!!!

All the problems were caused by the physical damage of the phone. The USB connector was replaced and then the LE was able to create a physical dump of the device.

While none of the software approaches worked because of the bad USB connector, I still learned some things, thanks for all the answers!
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

arcaine2

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 23:18

@passcodeunlock, there are couple different custom recovery versions you could try. It's strage that phone stucked in bootloop after installing that .zip but that could be related to that USB connector issues you mentioned later. Anyhow, glad you sorted this out.

In general, it it comes to changing recovery - it's relatively safe and harmless. With Samsung Android based phones, basically every model since S3 (and models around it's release date) comes with separate recovery partition (that's common among all modern Android phones) that you can flash with Odin. No data will be harmed here. For older models, like S2 and first Note, recovery is bundled with kernel so you have to flash both. While it's safe for data, your phone may not boot if kernel doesn't match the firmware (like flashing too old kernel for example) so that's something to check first. Some models, like the one you have are able to either boot or install custom recovery from stock recovery, but that may sometimes require few tries or few versions. It's always wise to check what the script inside the .zip file does. For example, S5360 have a couple custom recoveries available. These can only be run from stock recovery, using a .zip file. None of them works perfectly, only one supports proper adb support on root permissions. It's better with more modern phones. twrp.me and xda-developers are two sites worth checking for recoveries.
From my experience, only US variants (AT&T, Verizon sometimes also T-Mobile) have locked bootloaders and you simply won't be able to flash custom image, but data will be fine. There's also FRP (Factory Reset Protection) introduced in some cheaper phones using Android 5.1 released since last year and Samsung Reactivation Lock (for top models, Like Galaxy S5, S6, S7 and Note). While it's enabled (you can check it's status in bootloader), it'll act as locked bootloader and won't allow you to flash any custom stuff, data will be intact.
Some phones since S4 updated to 5.1 will overwrite custom recovery when booting, data will not be touched. To avoid it, you just uncheck reboot in Odin, flash recovery image then power off the phone (either by pulling the battery or with power button, doesn't matter) and start it in recovery mode on the first try.

For other phones, like any Nexus, LG, HTC, Motorola where you have to unlock bootloader in order to flash custom recovery, unlocking bootloader will wipe the data.

I often use custom recovery method to recover data from phones with broken digitizer or completely broken display for years. Never had any data loss, it's safe if you know what you're doing.

@mobileforensicswales, that looks interesting, will have to that a look out of curiosity what can be done with that.  

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 20, 16 13:13

- arcaine2
@passcodeunlock, there are couple different custom recovery versions you could try. It's strange that phone stuck in bootloop after installing that .zip but that could be related to that USB connector issues you mentioned later. Anyhow, glad you sorted this out.

I wasn't able to install the update.zip, as I wrote before, the Vol +/- was working, but I couldn't select the "Update from sdcard" menu with the Power button. Actually I couldn't select none of the menus (the reboot system menu either), so I turned it off by pulling the battery. From there on the phone remained in recovery loop, but after flashing the CSC with Odin in download mode, it booted in normal mode again.

What I don't get is how could I flash CSC with the original bad USB connector n download mode, but the LE couldn't make a physical image with the same USB connector.

I'm also glad that this got sorted out, one of our engineers suggested the USB connector replacement, he soldered it, so even if we didn't bypass the lock, overall we provided the right solution Smile

mpscpuz

Post Posted: Sep 01, 16 13:17

You can get the phone into download mode and flash new image to the phone. After that, the password will be removed. Here is a great tutorial on this: How to reset screen passcode for samsung  

Last edited by mpscpuz on Sep 12, 16 12:53; edited 1 time in total

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Sep 04, 16 15:39

Thanks, but it got solved already Smile

The device had physical damage, which was preventing normal communication over the USB, after the new USB connector was soldered, the LE was able to bypass the lock and create a physical dump of the device with UFED.

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2