±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35657
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 149

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

HDD Wiping

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

DataR

HDD Wiping

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 01:41

I was wondering, what software/hardware do you guys use to wipe the target drives?  

wookieshaver

Re: HDD Wiping

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 01:52

Speaking for my lab, we use Encase to wipe drives, but we have also used Paladin Linux, Backbox Linux, and Mac to wipe drives just using DD in each case with the linux distros and the mac.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 02:35

And if ATA/SATA built-in secure erase should be much faster.

Needs to be validated on the specific device if SSD (never seen any report of ATA secure erase not working on spinning disk drives, but of course it is possible).

jacl

DataR

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 02:55

Ok, so I have been using encase as well, but how about when you need to present a proof that the drive was actually wiped? Will encase log will be sufficient? Will it be court acceptable?  

DataR

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 02:56

Ok, so I have been using encase as well, but how about when you need to present a proof that the drive was actually wiped? Will encase log will be sufficient? Will it be court acceptable?  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 19:27

- DataR

What if the Encase log is acceptable but right after you ran Encase you wrote something to the disk?

I would be curious to know an example of a request for such a "proof".

jaclaz

JaredDM

Post Posted: Dec 03, 16 19:33

Doing full-time data recovery here, we have a lot of drives to wipe each week.

For most SATA drives we use these which are nice and fast. I like that they quickly let us know if there's any bad sectors developing in our destination drives: www.newegg.com/Product...-_-Product

For IDE drives which get dropped off here for wiping we use these: www.ebay.com/itm/like/...noapp=true

And for SCSI or SAS drives we just use Linux along with SG3_utils to initiate the drive's own built-in wiping functions.

At times I've also used [email protected] Killdisk software, such as for wiping the USB native drives like My Passport/Elements or Toshiba Canvio drives.

Page 1 of 4
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next