±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36312
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 201

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Is it possible to know if an iPhone has been ever jailbroken

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 

Azarius

Re: Is it possible to know if an iPhone has been ever jailbr

Post Posted: Jun 22, 17 01:03

That directory is located in the System folder, and as such, is unavailable to you...  

giuseppem

Post Posted: Jul 28, 17 22:13

- Azarius
That directory is located in the System folder, and as such, is unavailable to you...

So, let's say that if the system folder is unavailable, then the iPhone is not jailbroken, on the contrary if the iphone is Jailbroken then I will get access to /private/etc/fstab. Is it right?
I've just checked 2 iPhone extraction (advanced logical) of the same device: one was performed with backup cryptography and one without. There is no trace of that directory.  

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 29, 17 02:53

giuseppem, your answer has nothing to do with the original poster question, from what is available now, you won't get any hint if the device was jailbroken before or not.

JB - reset - JB - reset ... current situation. Was it ever jailbraked ?! How many times ?! How many times was it reset to factory defaults again ? Who knows ?! NOBODY! (maybe Apple, if they got an internal var for this...)

As some wise people already wrote it before, a factory reset kills all trails to the past, you should better close this thread, it is misleading readers that figuring this might be possible. Currently IT IS NOT!
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

giuseppem

Post Posted: Jul 29, 17 13:23

Dear passcodeunlock, thank you for your zealous response.
My answer does not give new information, but it takes up responses from other users: If you read carefully the whole thread is talking also (for the most part) of the possibility to understand if an iPhone is or not jailbroken.
My clarification request underlined the answers already given by others in order to clarify whether an iPhone is currently jailbroken or not.

I do not think there is any chance of misunderstanding, since it was repeated throughout the whole thread that you cannot determine if an iphone has ever been jailbroken or not.
My is a constructive request, useful to everyone. I do not understand this useless polemic tone.
- passcodeunlock
you should better close this thread, it is misleading readers that figuring this might be possible.

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jul 29, 17 16:29

- giuseppem

My is a constructive request, useful to everyone. I do not understand this useless polemic tone.
- passcodeunlock
you should better close this thread, it is misleading readers that figuring this might be possible.

Don't worry, nothing personal, it is seemingly a "close this thread weekend" Wink :

www.forensicfocus.com/...3/#6589733

- passcodeunlock

Overestimating forensic capabilities is not a problem, move on and please close this useless topic!

jaclaz

giuseppem

Post Posted: Jul 29, 17 19:53

Ah ah ah. Ok. Thank you jaclaz.  

Page 3 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3