±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36087
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 144

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

i7 or Xeon

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Vesalius

i7 or Xeon

Post Posted: Apr 06, 17 11:28

So my question for today is, will a top of the line i7 CPU do better for Ripping and Analyzing phones using UFED 4PC or will an Intel Xeon do better?

So let's say an i7 Extreme Proccessor or let's say the 7700k with really good multi-threading capabilities, or an Intel Xeon.

I would like to hear your opinion's on the matter.

steve862

Re: i7 or Xeon

Post Posted: Apr 06, 17 14:37

Hi,

There's quite a price difference when you factor in motherboards as well. I think that an i7 7700K will be plenty for phone analysis, particularly if you read the phone dumps from a fast storage method, rather than mechanical disks.

The Xeon of the same speed will require a more expensive motherboard and is less likely to have M.2 SATA slots in that sort of price range too. The X99 chipset for i7 Extreme will also be pricier but is more likely to have M.2 SATA.

Having looked at resource usage in a few of the phone tools; XRY, Oxygen and UFED PA, there certainly are times when the task being performed is single threaded and so a higher base clock speed will benefit you over more but slower cores. That might make the i7 Extreme CPUs less suitable too.

Steve

danielb

Post Posted: Apr 06, 17 19:22

When last looking at UFED and PC performance a year or two back I did some tests with sample reads and came to the following conclusions

The actual phone read isnt really affected by pc performance

The opening of the file in Physical Analyser was affected alot by cpu performance and also to some smaller degree disk performance.

Report creation was more affected more by disk performance and not that much by cpu.

So an 4c/8th i7 eg i7-7700k or even i7-6700 etc would be a nice sweet spot for both the single and multi threaded decoding involved in opening up a file. Unless you really need the extra features of the z170/z270 boards I would recommend a b150/b250 board or something similar.

Its worth getting a decent sized SSD for general use as well. Theres another debate on how much you will benefit from faster SSD's eg m2 pcie etc however a decent brand Sata SSD such as a Samsung 850 should be your starting point.  

MDCR

Post Posted: Apr 07, 17 01:16

Building a system with one Xeon processor is a waste of money, as pointed out above the system card can be a bit more expensive than one for a regular i7 processor.

The advantage of the i7 is cheaper and higher clock speeds. The one major advantage with Xeon is that the system card usually can fit more memory, I've seen one setup with 384 GB memory.

The Xeon really flies with a dual/multi processor setup, and multi threaded applications work well since it is built for it. So, if you got an application that wouldn't make use of Xeon hardware, then go with the i7.  

Passmark

Post Posted: Apr 07, 17 04:17

I would actually argue that the main benefit of the Xeon is ECC RAM support.
(as clearly you don't need all the extra CPU cores you can get with Xeon, nor the extra RAM, nor the dual CPU support).

But you can get ECC support with the new AMD Ryzen CPUs as well.  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Apr 07, 17 05:24

- MDCR
The Xeon really flies with a dual/multi processor setup, and multi threaded applications work well since it is built for it. So, if you got an application that wouldn't make use of Xeon hardware, then go with the i7.

I did a bit of testing with single and dual xeon machines and didn't really find a huge speed improvement for the dual.
Better to have a faster disk speed and more RAM  

MDCR

Post Posted: Apr 07, 17 18:07

- randomaccess
- MDCR

I did a bit of testing with single and dual xeon machines and didn't really find a huge speed improvement for the dual.
Better to have a faster disk speed and more RAM

And with what did you test it? Was it specifically written for Xeon processors? If not, you get crap performance and it wont matter.

There is a reason why there are 2+ CPU slots on most Xeon boards, they don't add extra CPUs for because someone thinks it would be cool.  

Page 1 of 3
Page 1, 2, 3  Next