±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 35520
New Yesterday: 6 Visitors: 133

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

What's your day-to-day like?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Describe your day-to-day life in the realm of forensics:

43%

25%

12%

12%

6%

0%

0%

Total Votes: 16

jpickens

What's your day-to-day like?

Post Posted: Aug 02, 17 00:09

Curious to see how people here use forensic tools and methods on a daily basis and what their typical day looks like.  

passcodeunlock

Re: What's your day-to-day like?

Post Posted: Aug 02, 17 01:19

I won't tell you Smile
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

JaredDM

Post Posted: Aug 02, 17 01:28

I picked "Enterprise forensics with much hands-on hardware" because it's the closest thing to what I do. But, realistically, my job isn't exactly forensics at all. My day to day is really more like:

8AM: Work on website, SEO, link building, social media outreach, advertising, etc.
9AM: Diagnose a couple broken hard drives
10AM: Provide quotes for a few data recovery cases
10:30AM-noon: Fix a couple broken hard drives
1PM-3PM: Babysit drives while extracting data as well as some additional web/advertising work
4PM: Bill a few customers out
5PM: Fix another hard drive or two maybe quote another case or two.

And the next day it repeats. With the occasional RAID case to really break things up.

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Aug 02, 17 13:53

Not your task. Silent.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Aug 02, 17 19:04

- jpickens
Curious to see how people here use forensic tools and methods on a daily basis and what their typical day looks like.

I'm not sure you're going to get that from a survey.

In my case, it's "enterprise threat hunting", which is used to identify systems that need closer examination. In some few cases, F-Response may be used, but more often, we get images for analysis.

For DF analysis, I find the classic "forensic tools" to be cumbersome for most analysts; I've been able to extract data and develop answers from two system images in under 4 hrs, whereas some tools take 19 or more hours to run across a single image. If a focused approach is used in analysis...ie, Sniper Forensics...there's a significant cost savings.  

Page 1 of 1