±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 35750
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 125

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Generic search terms

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Jonathan

Generic search terms

Post Posted: Aug 18, 17 20:24

Are there any generic list of invesitgative search terms?

For example, common terms used by perpetrators in financial fraud, intellectual property theft, internal sabotage, etc.

Thank you!

RolfGutmann

Re: Generic search terms

Post Posted: Aug 23, 17 07:06

I understand your question but not the purpose behind. Can you please explain for what you need this?  

Jonathan

Post Posted: Aug 23, 17 08:55

Hello Rolf,

It'd be useful in cases where there is a suspicion (of financial fraud, intellectual property theft, internal sabotage, etc.) but little evidence. In such circumstances, clients may not be able to provide case-specific search terms. Generic search term lists exist for investigation of criminal cases, such as terrorism, drugs and illegal images of children. Do you know if there are similar search terms lists for use in civil cases such the examples I've given? Thank you.

Jonathan

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Aug 23, 17 18:29

Hello Jonathan

Ok, got it. But we in LE don't have specific search term lists. Its all about timeline, location and inter-person com. Did you get in touch with experts of the field of Data Loss Prevention DLP solutions? Not sure but may they have tables of terms they observe middleware data traffic in companies.  

benfindlay

Post Posted: Aug 23, 17 20:35

- RolfGutmann

Ok, got it. But we in LE don't have specific search term lists. Its all about timeline, location and inter-person com.

Speak for yourself! In my previous employment, we most certainly made use of internally compiled lists of search terms relevant to certain crime types. We would run the "generic" list most suited to the crime type being investigated, and add the relevant "custom" search terms relevant to the individual case scenario onto the bottom of the list.

These were really useful for all sorts of purposes, inlcuding getting straight to the evidence, speculative searches, even as a triage tool.

In answer to Jonathan's original question, regarding keyword lists for financial fraud, intellectual property theft, internal sabotage, etc., sorry that I can't be more helpul - these weren't crime types I investigated frequently enough to be able to recall much of the relevant lists from memory, and I certainly don't have access to those internal sources of information any more - hopefully someone who is currently working in LE can step in and assist!
Teesside University 

jaclaz

Post Posted: Aug 24, 17 09:40

- RolfGutmann
But we in LE don't have specific search term lists.

- benfindlay

Speak for yourself!

Moreover - and as a side note - there is the language issue, I have to presume that the good Swiss guys - if they had these lists - would have lists in German, French and Italian (an possibly Romansh).

Possibly they would be additionally in Swiss German, Swiss French and Swiss Italian, which would be different (even if slightly) from the actual German, French, Italian.

jaclaz

Page 1 of 1