±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36312
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 134

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Microsoft Word 2003 40-bit encryption

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

marcyu

Microsoft Word 2003 40-bit encryption

Post Posted: Oct 04, 17 17:28

Anyone know of a low-cost/freeware manner in which to decrypt this bugger? I've used Password-Find.com before, but they've gone up in price. Thanks.

athulin

Re: Microsoft Word 2003 40-bit encryption

Post Posted: Oct 04, 17 19:33

- marcyu
Anyone know of a low-cost/freeware manner in which to decrypt this bugger?

Hashcat? or John the Ripper? Of course, you need to collect your own dictionaries ...  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Oct 05, 17 09:28

- marcyu
Anyone know of a low-cost/freeware manner in which to decrypt this bugger? I've used Password-Find.com before, but they've gone up in price. Thanks.

Guaword should be fine for those, even the (oldish) Freeware version:

www.password-crackers....aword.html

If you are into a hurry you can try the instant decryption service here:

www.decryptum.com/

for 29 bucks is not that bad, IMHO.

BTW I never had an occasion to use it personally but I know it was used succesfully in a couple of occasions.

@athulin
Usually (when available) "dedicated" password crackers/recover software is faster than genric ones such as John The Ripper.

jaclaz

marcyu

Post Posted: Oct 05, 17 15:46

I did try Guaword beforehand, but believe it or not, it's a 16-bit program. So none of my 64-bit OS computers will run it. Finally bit the bullet and installed a 32-bit OS VM to run Guaword. Got it to work, though.

jaclaz

Post Posted: Oct 05, 17 19:56

- marcyu
I did try Guaword beforehand, but believe it or not, it's a 16-bit program. So none of my 64-bit OS computers will run it. Finally bit the bullet and installed a 32-bit OS VM to run Guaword. Got it to work, though.

And this is just another reason why having an old machine laying around can be handy.

Happy it worked. Smile

jaclaz

v.katalov

Post Posted: Oct 31, 17 10:30

A piece of cake. We have the software (Advanced Office Password Breaker) that can decrypt such Word files under a minute, 100% guarantee:

www.elcomsoft.com/aopb.html

That is being done using the pre-computed hash tables (they take 4 GB only); without them, decryption is still possible, just a bit longer (about 1 day).  

chad131

Post Posted: Oct 31, 17 13:09

If it's Office 2003 with RC4, you can find a collision with hashcat very quickly. use -m 9710 to get rc4 key, then -m 9720 to get a password equivalent.

See this article:
hashcat.net/forum/thread-3665.html  

Page 1 of 1