±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36775
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 88

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Samsung Galaxy Note7

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

JohnCrawford

Samsung Galaxy Note7

Post Posted: Apr 06, 18 18:29

I was recently provided with an old Samsung Galaxy Note7 in order to collect the text messages which may be present upon it.

The Custodian of the phone said that he now had a new phone and could no longer use the old one. He reported that Samsung had issued an software update which effectively prevents the mobile phone battery from accepting a charge, and with no power, theoretically the mobile device will not catch on fire.

But because it presently has no power, I do not want to start the Cellebrite UFED extraction until I can control the devise under examination.

Has anyone faced this issue before?
e-Mail: John.Crawford @ FSI-Services.com
Web: www.FSI-Services.com
----------------------------------------------------- 

jaclaz

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note7

Post Posted: Apr 06, 18 19:06

AFAIK while no charging of the battery is possible with "last" update, the device works just fine with a USB charger/adapter plugged in:

forum.xda-developers.c...h-t3554802

jaclaz

JohnCrawford

Post Posted: Apr 06, 18 20:29

The unit does NOT work just fine when plugged into either a charger or a USB port on a a computer. Rather, it cycles through a series of flashing screens, accompanied by some bell tones and vibrations, and then Power Off. Same sequence over and over. I had one suggestion to crack open the unit and bypass the battery altogether. This sounded plausible to me, but I cannot damage the unit.  

qassam22222

Post Posted: Apr 06, 18 20:47

- JohnCrawford
I was recently provided with an old Samsung Galaxy Note7 in order to collect the text messages which may be present upon it.

The Custodian of the phone said that he now had a new phone and could no longer use the old one. He reported that Samsung had issued an software update which effectively prevents the mobile phone battery from accepting a charge, and with no power, theoretically the mobile device will not catch on fire.

But because it presently has no power, I do not want to start the Cellebrite UFED extraction until I can control the devise under examination.

Has anyone faced this issue before?

i did not understand what u want exactly ,,, if u want to provide the phone with power without battery u can use power supply

i hope this is what u want  

JohnCrawford

Post Posted: Apr 06, 18 20:59

Yes, that appears to be the best recommendation I have right now.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Apr 07, 18 08:01

Yep Smile , it is not that difficult to pry open a Samasung Notes 7 (without damaging it), see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-QKkQlBiiY

Before opening it, I would anyway try using a "dedicated" power supply unit, it is entirely possible that with a completely drained battery the thingy needs some more "juice" than what your computer USB port can supply.

jaclaz

Page 1 of 1